Is Packet Radio Still Active?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by W4XKE, Oct 3, 2009.

?

Do you operate a packet station?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2009.
  1. Yes. I'm active.

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Yes. But only occasionally.

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No. I lost interest and no longer do packet.

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. No. I have never been interested in packet.

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember hearing about packet radio in the 80's-90's and I was really excited to get into it when I finally got into HAM radio this year... then I found out packet was dead. :( I was so disappointed. I did get a signalink anyway so I could work some of the digital modes via HF.

I guess I can't vote but I wanted to at least say something.

Wish I'd been able to afford radio gear and a TNC when I was still into Commodore computers... that would have been fun.

2. N9GXA

N9GXA Ham Member QRZ Page

We had a blast back in the early '90's. Then I could get the internet for a local call in 1995 and kind of lost interest in packet radio. I recently wondered about it to also find out its not (as) active like before. There is some activity in the neighborhood, but it's not the same "type" of packet users.

It was fun...
    73 - Paul - N9GXA

3. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Packet radio is almost dead in Greece also. Users don't want to use those low speeds to connect to a station and interact with hamradio users only. 9600b never made it to Greece and the very few digipeaters used here were 1200b.
    It is great for emergency communications and sending and receiving text files, a thing that would be needed at the time. But the Internet took over.

I still have a TM-D700 for APRS, but its not anything like what you can do with packet.

I hope that maybe the technology used for D-Star (128kbps) will someday be "connected" to packet radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.