Is Packet Radio Dead?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K0LTZ, Dec 11, 2019.

?

Is packet radio dead?

1. Yes

36.0%
  2. No

64.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

[End quote-start of just an FYI]
    Maybe Packet is not dead everywhere- see the Satellite area of the QRZ Tech forums. APRS is AX.25 ( packet based ) at terrestrial stations- yet there may be less of these. Here is a link to the thread in the Satellite area: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/best-aprs-satellite.598965/
    I guess that packet ( without APRS ) may actually be in decline in the Mobile area, yet not necessarily nation wide... [ I would have used my TRS-80, yet it would have required a few adapters- the Model 100 was packed in a bin ].

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Packet is moribund every place I have been and is for all intents and purposes dead as a coffin nail. APRS has a little life in it, but that's a different issue. ;)

3. KK4GGL

KK4GGL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW..
    I did a packet station using my Apple IIe a few years ago. I was planning to do a Model 100 station, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Now, a bunch of packet nodes are down around here.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not long back...well...it seems like it wasn't that long ago...I was doing packet on my Commodore 64. I started out just to get the computer going for RTTY, but heard about 2-meter packet and had a lot of fun. :)

5. KA2DEW

KA2DEW Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with packet radio networks is they take more than one person to make them interesting. I think 5 stations will do it. The cost of getting that started if everybody is close together is on the order of $900. More if big antennas are needed. I've seen people spend $900 on a single packet station.
    Right now you can get 8 UHF 25w transceivers for $320 for the set on eBay. The NinoTNCs cost $30 each if shipping is combined.
    You need 8 radios, 8 TNCs, 5 Raspberry PIs, 8 antennas.
    http://tarpn.net
    It IS fun to be on a live real-time chat-over-ham-radio data network.

NQ1B, W4KYR and AH2AP like this.
  6. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I dragged my PK87 out from the cupboard and set it up but the packet activity here (Adelaide, South Australia) is practically zero. A bunch of stations transmitting lat, lon and weather to each other. No BBS to be found. I was thinking of writing some code to route the packet messages onto my local home network and maybe the internet, just for the fun. But I don't think I'll bother now. Now, what to do with the PK87....

7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[deleted]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[deleted]

9. N4DBM

N4DBM Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently brought out my PacComm Tiny-2 TNC's from 30 years ago. We ran packet nodes back in the late 80's and early to mid 90's in central NC near Charlotte. Our node stack was on 145.010, 145.690, 223.400 and 446.500 (1200 baud) with 147.480 as a 9600 baud link to the coast. I found a modern day EEPROM programmer for the 27C256 chip that plugs into the Tiny-2. I even found TheNet Plus 2.08B node firmware and put up several old fashioned stand-alone nodes here in eastern NC. We do have quite a few keyboard to keyboarders around, with "PBBS" mailboxes and we keep in touch with each other regularly across the state. We are on 145.010 MHz 1200 baud. My nodes are on abandoned state owned antennas for the old 154.68 land mobile system that was turned down when 800 MHz took over for public safety. I'm enjoying packet as much as I did back 30 years ago.

73, N4DBM.

KK4GGL and WA9UAA like this.
  10. W7GG

W7GG Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great !

I enjoyed packet radio ~30 years ago in Miami in 1984->1989.

I am in Seattle now, and I just bought a new Kantronics KWM-1200 Plus, and I'm hoping I didn't waste my money.

I don't want to do WinLink, - I want to get back to a 100% Internet-free netwoork like we had in Miami in the mid 80's when there was no Internet, and no Windows (or no PC's).

So I guess I'm starting out all over again. I don't even know where to look around here (Seattle) for information.

I'm trying hard to drum up local support here among friends in my area. We have a pretty big following on 2m simplex, and so I'm working these people hard to try to join me in getting (back) into packet (on AX.25).

Wish me luck!