Is Packet Radio Dead?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K0LTZ, Dec 11, 2019.

?

Is packet radio dead?

1. Yes

36.0%
  2. No

64.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out post #10 again, the first sentence. If you live in downtown Minneapolis, the noise of other digital services *might* make AX.25 packet difficult for an apartment dweller. If you live near the border with Wisconsin, then you need to consider talking with K0LAV, or better, attend a few meetings of the Golden Valley Radio Club. Many of their members are part of TwinsLan. BTW- Paul is generally pretty busy, thus going to meetings is generally an easier way to find him than through the published e-mail.

2. KA2DEW

KA2DEW Subscriber QRZ Page

Time to rally the troops and make your own network?

W4KYR likes this.
  3. KB0MNM

K0LTZ ( the author of this 'thread' ) has not responded to it for a while. I suspect that if he lives close to Wisconsin, he *could* become an asset to the ARES or American Red Cross part of the amateur radio community. Since I was asked to seek a 'warmer' climate in 2008, I will leave it to others ( such as K0LAV, maybe Eric NY9D ) or members of the TWINSLAN group to answer his question... if he is still curious. As to here in Northern Houston: it depends...

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Packet Fun in 1980
    A friend insisted I had to get on Packet on 2M so I got an AEA controller and had to download and print the user manual form the internet. It had 40 pages of details to set it up and several pages of commands to memorize to make the @#&* thing function. Finally figured out some of the gibberish the screen showed when I connected it to the radio. Then I made one actual Contact (they call it a connection) ! End of my Packet carreer !

5. KA2DEW

KA2DEW Subscriber QRZ Page

The tools you got are a means to an end, not the end itself. Packet is sort of like Ethernet. Getting on Ethernet is a pretty dumb idea unless you have something to do with it. But... there are many things to do with packet, and Ethernet. The tool isn't the result.

NQ1B and VE1LG like this.
  6. KN4ORB

KN4ORB Ham Member QRZ Page

What the name of the group that runs that?

7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Tri-County Radio Association - W2LI. However, I just looked at their website and no longer see any info about packet, so the BBS I was referring to may be no more.

9. KB0MNM

The website repeater link shows info@tcra.org if you need information. Then you could always consider the 2020 officer list and send the secretary a request through the QRZ website e-mail in the profile for the callsign. Folks generally get pretty busy when Field Day is near.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's still some on HF...but it's not as popular as PSK31--which oughta tell you something. ;)

2-meter packet? It is as dead as a doornail, but I wish it weren't so. Me and my good old Commodore 64 had a lot of fun with it. :)

KF5RRF and K5YDD like this.