Is my tuner working right?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N1QWI, Jan 30, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N1QWI

N1QWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

A few years ago I purchased an MAT-30 HF-SSB automatic antenna tuner. I use it with my Yaesu FT – 450 D.

I’m starting to think that this antenna tuner is not working properly. I have an 80 m loop which seems to work, alongside with the tuner on multiple bands but when I am not on 80, the tuner does not ever seem to make the radio think that there is a 1:1SWR. The closest I can get is 1.6:1.

Using an antenna analyzer, I have plotted the following readings at the transmitter side:

3.52 MHz 1:1

7.42 MHz 1.8:1

10.8 MHz 1.6:1

14.5 MHz 1.4:1

Since these bands are pretty close to 1:1, I would imagine that this tuner should have enough impedance matching capabilities to read a 1:1 SWR on 40, 30, and 20 m.

Am I missing something?
    Daniel

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why use any kind of antenna tuner when the native VSWR is <2:1?

N1QWI and PU2OZT like this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

SGC makes tuners with anywhere between 64k tuning combinations to 4 million, depending on the needs of the user. The more tuning combinations the better the ability provide a lower SWR.
    The SGC-231 was designed for government users that wanted more tuning combinations.
    Zak W1VT

N1QWI likes this.