ad: ProAudio-1

Is it time for a new Handbook?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Jan 17, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

AmateurLogic 165
    George has a review of the new ARRL Handbook 2022 edition. Emile explores GMRS Data modes. ID-52A power on screen with Tommy Dirt. An update on Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery experiences and more.

www.amateurlogic.tv

M1WML, KE5QKR and K8VSY like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Softcover is $50 too..o much for me.... ..

M1WML, K4MID, KB1MM and 4 others like this.
  3. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I my opinion there have not been a good handbook for 20 years.

WB9FXW, WB5UZI, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  4. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the 2021 last December. They had given me a birthday discount (November) and free shipping in Dec. Paid $30 shipped for the multivolume. I get a new one every 10 yrs whether I need it or not.:rolleyes:

AA5BK, M1WML, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.
  5. AE9AM

AE9AM Ham Member QRZ Page

I got the softcover 2021 towards the end of the year for free when I re-joined ARRL. They seem to always offer this membership deal to get rid of the remaining stock just before the next year's edition comes out.

M1WML and NF6E like this.
  6. KK7AWK

KK7AWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I got some sort of a discount on the Handbook, my first one. I did the 6 volume option as it makes for better bathroom reading :) I'm learning a lot from it, and although those crusty old hams who've been around a lot might think they're not as good, it's pretty good as a starting point for a new ham getting into the hobby with all four feet!

I also bought the Antenna Book, and those two books, along with the downloadable versions, are more information than I can probably read in 10 years!

AA5BK, M1WML, AL2F and 2 others like this.
  7. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Likewise I have a bunch of vintage handbooks, and I think I am about 20 years behind as far as new ones. Funny thing, the basics never change. I also have a Jones Handbook and a W6SAI Radio Handbook. I find the idea of the new one overwhelming as far as cost and size.

M1WML, W5ESE and K4KYV like this.
  8. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I find far more information that is actually useful for assembling and maintaining a station, including workshop practices and other practical data, in the older handbooks, from the 1980s dating all way back to the first edition.

Just one example: earlier handbooks explain in detail how the reflected power meter and SWR bridge works, with follow-up construction data on how to build and calibrate one. The later editions tout the "necessity" to have an SWR meter in the shack, followed up only with advice on how and where to buy one ready made.

WB9FXW, W2CPD, M1WML and 7 others like this.
  9. KI5HNX

KI5HNX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish they'd offer the hardcover edition again. They're hung up on the multi-volume set now though, so I guess the hardcovers are a thing of the past.

M1WML and N0NC like this.
  10. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought the hardcover version in Orlando 1991 version.
    Most of it is still relevant today.

M1WML and G3SEA like this.
  11. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

My newest version of the handbook is from 1956 and it was gifted to me from my father in law, what can I say I'm cheap.

I still have my 1997 Toyota 4 runner and the same original wife from 1989.

Changing and upgrading things when old still works is not necessary and is hard to justify for me.

M1WML, S21RC, W5ESE and 1 other person like this.
  12. K4PRB

K4PRB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been (occasionally) buying ARRL handbooks and W6SAI Bill Orr's handbooks since the late fifties. The newer the ARRL handbooks, the more I prefer Bill Orr's older handbooks.

M1WML and KB1MM like this.
  13. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a '56, too! Black cover?

M1WML likes this.
  14. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I was at a local ham club junk auction and a box of handbooks came up for sale in it was 2 of the same year. I asked at the end of the meeting if there was a new ham in the room and some young guy put
    his hand so I gave it to him. He looked at the year 1977 on it and was confused and said it's old. My answer was the information never goes out of date.
    So any time I can get an old handbook I give it to a new ham.

M1WML, KC0KEK, G3SEA and 2 others like this.
  15. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

For pure fundamentals, I get more out of:

Radar Electronic Fundamentals, TM 11-466 June 1944

Radar System Fundamentals, Navships 900,017 April 1944

IMO the Handbook is overwhelming, especially for new hams. It should be broken up so that a ham can acquire those covering phases of the hobby that (s)he is interested in.

M1WML, G3SEA and KF5KWO like this.