Is it feasible to replace car radio antenna with 2m/70cm antenna?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K5LNX, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Contrary to what the manual says a hood mount will have no adverse effects. I've done hundeds of them on all makes of cars and have never had a problem

2. AB9VH

AB9VH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have - dodge pickup truck. lip mounted on hood.
    Every time I keyed up the truck would start to shudder, lurch, and then die.
    As soon as I drilled a hole in the roof w/ nmo mount problem went away.
    I also backed down to 25 watts power.

There is a reason why it was stated in the manual. Someone else had that problem.

3. K5LNX

K5LNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering that as well. I can't help but think they put it on the third page of the manual for a reason. I'd assume a vast majority of owners won't be putting a transceiver in their vehicles so if it was just a passive warning I could see it buried in the back someplace or as a footnote, but it's literally like the first thing you see after opening the manual so I can't help but think they really want it to be noticed. And given your problems I can see why.

I trust the hams who say it won't cause problems, and I'm sure chances are I'd have no problems... but given I don't want to hose anything I'll probably heed the warning and mount the antenna on the roof with the mag mount I have now then if I can find someone local to help me do a permanent NMO install down the road i'll go that route eventually.

Thanks again for all the comments --

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.