Is It Acceptable or a Way to Send a Short Transmission For Verification?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, Feb 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, there's a fair chance there aren't all that many skimmers listening on that portion of 40 metres outside of North America, as it's usually "all modes" rather than "telegraphy". Most of the 40 metre skimmers will probably be listening down in the bit of 40 metres the rest of the world uses for CW.

2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Showing spots for DX call: KN4ICU
    WE9V [​IMG] KN4ICU 7060.0 CW CQ 11 dB 15 wpm
    K1TTT [​IMG] KN4ICU 7042.5 CW CQ 9 dB 14 wpm
    VE2WU [​IMG] KN4ICU 7050.0 CW CQ 17 dB 13 wpm
    K1TTT [​IMG] KN4ICU 7060.0 CW CQ 10 dB 13 wpm
    VE2WU [​IMG] KN4ICU 7045.0 CW CQ 18 dB 14 wpm
    K1TTT [​IMG] KN4ICU 7045.0 CW CQ 12 dB 14 wpm 0239z 19 Feb

You're getting out, but those aren't great reports for that time of day on 40 with your wattage. An end-fed antenna needs a good counterpoise to push against. I'd suggest running some counterpoise wires from the back of the tuner or wherever you're feedpoint is to that end-fed. If you're feeding it from the back of a tuner, when you do use counterpoise wires from there be sure the wire ends aren't somewhere that people can touch them, or they'll get an ouch-ee.

3. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am running a counterpoise. And it was 100 watts I used today. I know the wire us only about 17ft up horizontally... Could the height be rhe culprit of bad reports??

4. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's almost certainly the case. Seventeen feet up is roughly 1/8 of a wavelength on 40m, that's very low for a horizontal antenna. Getting the antenna up higher would help. But you've got an antenna up and you're getting a signal out which is a huge first step. Try to think of ways to get the antenna up higher but you've got a working antenna which is the key thing to start working folks on the air.

KN4ICU likes this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I've worked many CW hams on 40 running antennas @ 10' ...
    I'd advise including an 8' (no shorter than 4') gnd rod for the counterpoise to bond to.
    Wet spring soil is easy to drive them into. Big Box Home stores have them cheap.

6. KN4ICU

Yes, I am going to try and get that up in a horizontal slope 15 ft higher this week.

7. KN4ICU

I'm using a counterpoise.

8. N8AFT

After you start making QSO's you'll likely be amazed how good your set up is actually working right now.
    Most of us QRP CW ops don't even register a signal on the RBN but we make consistent QSO's none the less.
    Get on the air.

KD2RON likes this.
  9. N8AFT

The ground rod is still essential.

10. KN4ICU

Any suggestions on when to start? I am done learning the alphabet and need to learn 5 more numbers. I can transmit but need more practice copying. Do I need to know the formal QSO form?