Is It Acceptable or a Way to Send a Short Transmission For Verification?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, Feb 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are automatic "robots," there's not anybody there to answer you.

But if the RBN spots you at several locations, you're getting out.

Remember, those receivers are usually active 24/7 and there isn't necessarily anybody there, or even anyone on the band actually listening -- I've been "spotted" in Australia when it's 3AM there and probably everybody was sleeping except RBN.

K7TRF and KN4ICU like this.
  2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I missed something, are you using the Reverse Beacon Network website: http://www.reversebeacon.net/main.php

If so, they never send anything back that you could hear. They're just sensing receivers that monitor the band and populate a database and website based on signals they detect. They don't have matching transmitters to reply to your call. You just send calls and see if they've been picked up by the sensing receivers.

3. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in Georgia. ..m Picking me up in Canada's and Massachusetts.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No sweat.

They should also report your frequency and how many wpm you were sending. It's pretty accurate!

5. KN4ICU

Same one. 2 separate call signs posted de went to me (dx). I thought those were people responding to tests.
    I was picked up in Canada and Massachusetts.

K7TRF likes this.
  6. KN4ICU

Is this a pretty respectable distance?

7. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

KN4ICU likes this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every code exam or practice QSO I've heard starts with "VVV VVV VVV". I cannot remember calling a CQ without starting with a couple of Vs to test my key and make sure the BKIN on the rig is enabled. I can't imagine anyone thinking "VVV VVV VVV de KN4ICU" was a broadcast, or anything other than a test message. :)

9. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency are you using for your tests ? What antenna ? On 40 or 80 meters with 85 watts and a simple wire antenna you should be getting lots of RBN spots. Not so much on 15 or 10 meters due to poor propagation near the bottom of this sun spot cycle.

10. KN4ICU

Just used an end fed 33ft wire antenna (not the best set up but the only room I have) and put out a 100 watts on the portion of 40 meters which my Tech ticket allows. I live in Georgia. The only reverse beacons that caught me were in Massachusetts and Canada.