Is It Acceptable or a Way to Send a Short Transmission For Verification?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, Feb 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it acceptable to send a short transmission for verification to see how well your signal is being received, while bypassing having a formal conversation on CW?

2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not generally done. Not really any need anymore. Look into "Reverse Beacon Net". Very handy... you can send a quick cq and get a map of exactly where in the world you're being heard.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Certainly! Test transmissions have always been acceptable. Keep them brief, use minimum necessary power, ensure the frequency is clear before transmitting and identify, e.g. TEST de KB4QAA. bill

M6GYU likes this.
  4. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, that's pretty much how the Reverse Beacon Network works. You send a couple of CQs with your call and then check the webpage to see what SDR skimmers picked up your signal and what your S/N was at each receiving station.

http://www.reversebeacon.net/main.php

Use their 'Search Spot by Callsign' tool and enter your callsign. Then as you send out calls you'll see where your calls were heard.

5. KN4ICU

I mainly want to see if my transmission is "getting out there and how far.

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Broadcasting" or one-way transmissions with no intended recipient is not permitted. Test transmissions are permitted. Everything I posted still applies. :)

7. KN4ICU

Yes. I Definitely intended do ad you posted. Test w. Call sign.

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. KN4ICU

How many would you recommend sending out? The highest power I'm doing is 30 watts, but am seeing anything on the site. I am hearing others fine though.

9. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a couple of CQs and repeating your call two or three times is plenty.

Did you set a spot filter on the RBN to pull out your call? If you're just looking at the main page it might appear that your call isn't being picked up by any RBN sites but if you set a spot filter you'll basically have a page that only displays when your call is heard. Even with a filter set to select only your call sign it takes about five or ten seconds for the RBN page to update and sometimes longer for a given RBN receiver to report so after sending a call, watch that filtered page for a bit before sending another call.

Most skimmers used in the RBN are programmed to only capture a given call once on a given frequency in a given time period (not sure how long that window is). IOW, if you send out a bunch of calls in a short time period on the same frequency then you might only see a specific skimmer pick you up once and you have to wait a bit to be picked up again. So when I'm A/B testing antennas I'll send out a few CQs on one frequency then QSY a few kHz up or down band and send out a few more. That way I can get A/B reports from the same skimmer receiver in a short time period.

With the spot page set up it stores a bit of history for your call sign. So if I'm doing a more extensive A/B testing session I'll pick two unoccupied frequencies near one another and assign one to antenna A and the other to the B antenna I'm testing. Then I'll QSY back and forth a few times alternating the antennas by frequency. Then looking at the call filtered log I can usually see several reports from a handful of RBN receive locations and by viewing the frequency they report I can know if the report applies to the A or B antenna. For sessions like this I often use a band that's basically closed or is pretty empty. IOW, I might do an 80m antenna A/B test during the day and a 20m A/B test at night so I'm not cluttering up an active band while testing. That said, I've worked a few folks that answered my RBN calls and just had a quick QSO and told them what I was up to.

10. KN4ICU

Well I got responses, but I didn't hear them. I just saw they responded via the database. I had to move up to 85 watts to do it....