Is icom still making ic-718 or clearing inventory?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF6OCI, Jun 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AC9SF

AC9SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For a couple of hundred more you could get a 7300.

W7UUU, K0UO, K4AGO and 1 other person like this.
  2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

With the 7300 being such a great price point radio for a little more money I'm sure it's the primary reason for these radios demise. If they could just make the 718 with usb connection to computers at sub $600 it would be a great challenger to the ft450. But then again, why not plan ahead and get a 7300?

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are exactly right. They do need to have a really cheap entry-level rig, though. Updated 718, maybe? Not just with USB, but also with CW filters? That would likely put them out of the 600 dollar ballpark considering development expenses, though. Be interesting to see what they do--which might include just keeping the 718 going as is. ;)

KA4DPO and W4IOA like this.
  4. W4NNF

A little more than a couple of hundred at the moment. I think the 7300 is probably the best choice for many, however. It's priced "entry level" but sure doesn't act like it. OTOH, the 7299 is also a fine little rig. It's an old-fashioned superhet (albeit with dsp), and it's got a tiny display, but it works very well indeed. :)

KD8UEI likes this.
  5. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the 7200. It would make an excellent entry-level radio. I don't know what Icom was thinking by keeping the 718 and discontinuing the 7200. No filters to buy for the 7200 either. I'm not saying that the 718 is a bad radio. I'm just saying that logically it makes more sense to keep the 7200.

KF5RRF, KA4DPO and NL7W like this.
  6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

My biggest gripe about the 7200 is the tiny screen, other than that it's a nice radio. I was going to purchase one and the only thing that kept me from it was that a IC 7410 came available for less from a friend who had won it at a hamfest.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. W4NNF

That was mine too--when I first got it. But when I plugged it into a PC running HRD, that was no longer a problem. :)

W4IOA likes this.
  8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect we are not far from a day when it's simply expected that most Amateur radios will be used as computer peripherals. They will be fully functional as a radio without a computer attached but with a computer there would be far greater capability than either operating alone. This means screens getting smaller, fewer buttons and knobs on the front, and if you want those buttons and knobs then that will be sold as an upgrade.

Then will come the radios that are unable to function without a computer attached. I recall such models attempted before but they failed to find a large enough market, they were just too little too soon. Once they work out what people expect from this pairing of a radio to a computer then, again this is just my prediction, we will see most every radio model with some kind of computer interface built in to it. Expect radios that can plug into tablets, smart phones, and other pocket sized electronic devices, for all kinds of uses that are just emerging now.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I strongly disagree with that and that's why Icom came out with the 7300, 7610 and then 9700 so you did not have to have a computer connected to it!!!
    They know that not every ham wants to be connected to a computer in order to make a qso.
    They also had the foresight that if you want to hook a computer up you can easily do it, but the radio does not rely on it. Even Flex is putting knobs on their new radios.

10. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that TODAY the expectation is that people will predominately operate a radio as a standalone item. What I predict for the FUTURE is that people will be far more accustomed to using their radio as a computer peripheral. Radios coming with USB and Ethernet ports as standard equipment is just the start, in my humble opinion. How that evolves in the future remains to be seen. One possibility is a radio that is not much more than a black box with three connection ports, USB, RF, and power. If you want "standard" knobs, buttons, and display then that would be sold separately as an accessory.