ad: M2Ant-1

Is icom still making ic-718 or clearing inventory?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF6OCI, Jun 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KF6OCI

KF6OCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Is icom clearing inventory of the ic718 or still making them.

Thanks

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AFAIK, they are still making them. Haven't heard anything to the contrary. Oh, it's day will come, and so will that of the 7200, but maybe not today. ;)

In fact, while I haven't heard anything about it, it looks like the good old IC 7200 may be gone again. I'm not seeing it on dealer pages anymore. Darned shame. :(

Addendum...while I don't see any mention of the 7200 at HRO, DX Engineering has them. If I wanted one, I'd get out my credit card stat. At less than 800, it is just a terrific buy and superior to the 718 in every way.

KF5RRF, KD8ZMN, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a good question, it is a pretty dated design but they are still a great starter rig. I have not heard anything about them no longer being made but if that's true I suppose the IC-7200 will be next.

KD8ZMN and NL7W like this.
  4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed the pre DSP 718 I had. Only gripe would be the inability to connect straight to the computer for digital. That and an onboard tuner. If they could make the 7200 the same physical dimensions and screen size it would be a fantastic radio especially for entry level.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. W4NNF

The problem with the 718 is that once you add CW filters (you will want them if you plan to work ANY CW), and a sound card interface for digital modes (if you intend to work them), you will pass the price of the 7200, which has those things built in.

KD8ZMN, KA4DPO, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  6. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At this point, the CW filters seem to be already discontinued (aftermarket still available). That makes me think that the 718 might not be around much longer.

KA4DPO and VK4HAT like this.
  7. W4NNF

I wouldn't be surprised.

8. KF6OCI

KF6OCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Everyone.

Daniel

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Giga Parts says the IC-7200 has been discontinued by the manufacturer. The current deal at DX engineering is pretty good. Icom America still show the 718 as being in production.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  10. W4NNF

I suspected that. Poor little IC 7200...this is the SECOND time it has been canceled. :(

KF5RRF, K0UO, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.