Is Heathkit Still Alive?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Jan 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked at their website a few days ago, looks like nothing has changed, and there are no new products being offered since two years ago. They do still offer the hundred and fifty dollar digital clock. :rolleyes:

You can buy the exact same clock on Ebay, minus the case, for around ten dollars. :oops:

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They have merged with TenTec and Atwater Kent.

W0FS, KI4ZUQ, KA0HCP and 2 others like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

No. They are Alive.
    Or
    No, They are Dead??!!

5. WD8T

WD8T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Heathkit is nothing more than a fond memory and some old green gear in my shack that still works. Heath bars on the other hand are still being made and are as delicious as ever.

KI4ZUQ, KA3CTQ, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

read the title of the thread then read my answer

Dave
    W7UUU

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably nooooooooo!

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He probably was wondering if you were responding to the merger with Ten Tec and Atwater Kent! :D

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No Heathkit is not alive. There is a Heathkit website where they will sell you overpriced, poorly executed kits for things like AM broadcast radios. But saying they are alive is like saying Packard Bell was alive again when the name was used to peddle cheap computers in the 90s.

What we loved and miss ain't coming back...there's no way to make that financial model work. In its heyday, Heathkit could sell you an HW-101 kit for less money than it would have cost to sell an assembled one. But that was changing even as Zenith bought them out. Doing a kit for something like the IC 7300 would be more expensive than selling an assembled radio. They don't pay the board stuffing robots and the wave-soldering machines that much. :)

I don't worry about it. I have my memories, and there are still plenty of Heathkit rigs out there looking for good homes and restoration, which is almost as much fun as sitting down to that fresh HW-101 was. :)

WW2PT and KA4DPO like this.
  10. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh gee, I was hoping to check the thread and find there was a big sale going on with my favorite kit featured and I could finally get it with my big stimulus check.