Is Ham Radio in Australia on the Decline?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jun 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

The sales pitch would be the same now or in your hypothetical. Ham radio is about self education in radio, electronics and communications and that hobbiests need some spectrum to be able to design, build and test their own work and communicate with others who do the same. There would be no commercial transceivers allowed, no power above 100w allowed, a basic safety and operating procedure exam followed by building your own transmitter and making a contact with it, code would be mandatory but not examined and HF only. To keep your license you need to have X number of confirmed code contacts per year, say 50, even if they are at 2 wpm. Use it or loose it.

My ham radio would not be an elite, it would be a passionate.

VK7HH and PU2OZT like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice thread discussion.

It's seems relevant to me that other leisure (amateur) pursuits such as General Aviation, Recreational Boating, and Natural Conservationism, practiced by a similar minority of the Public, with similar self-educational and STEM features, utilizing admittedly more tangible yet also non-private resources of the air, water and land, have endured, survived and even prospered, without particularly special largess or neglect from their regulators, as allegedly some say in the near future Amateur Radio shall need or be subjected.

There's little doubt that even only 10 years from now AR will look even more different to us "code-class" licensee's. But I am not overly concerned about its fundamental existence in some form.

Gals & guys will still wonder how it all works and figure out how to do it. :)

73, John, WØPV

3. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Rob,
    Yes I appreciate that too. Social media can be a difficult one to handle, I should know, some of the comments on my channel prove that haha! On air, at least down here, the problem does exist at times. And if you chat around the club it's even worse with some individuals.

4. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would a free jar of vegemite with every ham radio purchase help turn this around?

N0TZU, PU2OZT, G3SEA and 1 other person like this.
  5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

HAHAHA, the comment section is a nightmare ;) thankfully i no longer have those problems, QRZ is the only ham site I am on. Best thing i ever did was quit all the VK facebook groups, they are a nightmare literally from satan, nothing more than a bunch of whiney man children trying to be relevant. A pox on all of them LOL

I have never done the club thing, so i cannot comment on what they are like up here. But the few club guys I met from Redcliffe club were always very supportive of everything I have done.

6. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

While an 'acquired taste' it does have some healthy nutrients :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

7. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love vegemite. Marmite is only ok.

G3SEA likes this.
  8. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

The new rules have effectively put a stop to me being able to operate from home. My property is simply too small and I live on a gable end and exposed to the public on three sides. Effectively it limits my power to 10W. Couple that with my compromised antennas very low to the ground, it has effectively prevented me from operating altogether. Vertical antennas which are visible are out of the question. I used to go on the radio every day but now I do it out portable somewhere maybe once a week. So I started the hobby maybe 2 years ago and now it is already coming to an end.

When I had my Foundation licence, I really struggled to find QSOs. I managed Canada once when I was out portable, but from home was like banging your head against the wall. It was an incentive to get 50W Intermediate. That's when the QSOs started coming in but still a struggle and mainly on 40m inter-G. That was SSB. Then I discovered FT8. But FT8 is, well... really boring!

By the time I reached Full level, the new EMF rules came in, so now I'm effectively back to 10W again at home.

Austin. M0MNE

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    PU2OZT and VK4HAT like this.
  9. M0MNE

I think it would need to be a free iPhone

10. M0MNE

I don't think people are really selling it. The local clubs in my area are largely keeping it to themselves, like tea and biscuits on a Sunday morning, it's for the ones in the know.

The clubs need to be posting in schools, colleges and universities or perhaps even visiting them with a field day demo!
    Local museums and community hubs too.

Encourage STEM and show that there are STEM hobbies too.

VERY FEW EVEN KNOW THE HOBBY EXISTS.

Whose fault is that?
    Radio Amateurs.

Somehow they find the hobby, but then they keep it to themselves because they can't explain it.

The most common questions I get asked about amateur radio are:

What are you doing?
    Why are you doing that?
    Who can you talk to?
    What do you talk about?

Find good answers for those questions guys and tell everyone you know.

Who was the last person you told about amateur radio? Did it go well or was it a bit awkward because you couldn't explain it very well?