Is Ham Radio in Australia on the Decline?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jun 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I have a hard time hearing a DX station I turn on my amplifier. But I can't figure out why the station is still weak.:rolleyes:

2. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

...and you send QRJ

Oliver

3. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

10kW amp is not easy. One cannot just plug it into outlet, connect an antenna, and call 'CQ DX'.

So obviously you should ask other party to QRO, not you (however you may if you wish).

Sure.

Let me guess too: QRM and/or QRN at other party's location. Push a little to break through the noise and make contact.

Unless the power itself is not a part of the hobby (as I said 10kW far not easy to handle) an amp is not mandatory. There are lots of DXCC QRP award holders and much more that achieved award criteria but never applied. So one could say five to ten watts is pretty enough to work the world. I only wish to ask again: does QRP'er work the world or the world works QRP'er?

Okay, okay, let's say 100W is QRP for ESSB, do you? :rolleyes:

4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not talking about QRP. I say that 100W and good antennas are enough.

I have not tried ESSB, but I liked AM.

5. UT7UX

Many thanks for your input.

I never thought that way so your explanation seem opened my eyes.

In my country we've lost many bands that way including 23cm and 13cm.

6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

We lost them precisely because we do not have the honor people in our ham radio national organisation. Over the past few years, no one has hurt radio amateurs in Ukraine as much as other radio amateurs who wanted personal fame ...

UT7UX likes this.
  7. UT7UX

So you're saying the choice is you barely hear weak DX versus you barely hear weak DX and DX hears you. As for me I'd prefer to be heard by DX otherwise it seems somewhat senseless to call DX that doesn't hear you.

Actually there are many stations calling DX when they don't hear DX; most of them trying on DX's TX frequency. :D

8. UT7UX

Exactly. Sad but true.

9. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

What it doesnt need is the crazy useless system that the UK has. Whereby it is done on increasing power as you progress through the licences . Should be done on increased power and more bands as you progress. No incentive to get past the foundation as a power rating is totally un policeable and most foundation licencees are running whatever the rig will deliver plus amps.

10. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

... provided that the most basic licence does permit meaningful operation! Let's not have the apartheid system that the US has where their entry-level licensees are effectively barred from almost all meaningful activity.

Martin (G8FXC)