ad: elecraft

IS HAM RADIO AFFECTING YOUR MARRIAGE?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3BEQ, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'better half' here is the moderator. Tensions may not be released at random.:oops:

2. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's all about balancing hobbies with home life and taking an interest in each others activities.

My wife is a Quilter ans while I cannot quilt, I've taken enough of an interest in her and her hobbies to be able to
    understand what she's talking about and to offer suggestions when she ask my opinion on something quilting related.

VK4HAT and W7UUU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Bingo! It's a RELATIONSHIP. Appreciating what each partner enjoys in life. My wife is a knitter / crocheter and I have no problem at all popping in to yarn shops on our travels so she can have an hour to browse yarn.... just as she will wander a ham fest with me.

Dave
    W7UUU

VK4HAT and W2AI like this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A lot of that has to do the potential of nursing home care in America which is quite costly. Medicare in the U.S. does NOT cover the cost of being confined in a nursing home. In Canada, I believe your Universal Health Care system does cover nursing home confinement with NO financial obligations incurred by a married couple.
    Most of the states will reduce a married couples' assets to a near poverty level before Medicaid kicks in to cover nursing home costs.
    However; if Medicaid refuses to pay for any reason--the community (healthy) spouse is held personally liable for the costs incurred.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A couple in their late 90s appears before the divorce judge. Judge asks, "you've been married for over 70 years - why get divorced now?"

Couple answers, "We wanted to wait until all the kids were dead"

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

W2AI and K1LKP like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

True....but there's more....

Sometimes there can be financial advantages to being single for senior citizens (!).

There's also the old story of the 90-somethings getting a divorce after 70+ years of marriage. "We had to wait until all the kids were dead."

In some cases....that's not really a joke.

7. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The best advice I ever got was to make your wife your best friend.
    Since she's my best friend, I have a desire to learn about her interest.

VK4HAT and W7UUU like this.
  8. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

My philosophy is "happy wife, happy life." Seems to work. We've been married for about 35 years now.

Dan KI4AX

NK2U and VK4HAT like this.
  9. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you're referring to 'common law' arrangements; that is an unmarried couple in a relationship that resides together in a domicile over an extended period of time. Most of the states do not recognize "common law marriage"-- thus there can be no claims to community property nor any division of assets accumulated during the course of the relationship.

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

If ham radio is affecting your marriage, it's only a symptom of something much larger needing attention. Obviously. Misogyny not included.

N6HCM, N5PAR, VK4HAT and 3 others like this.