IS HAM RADIO AFFECTING YOUR MARRIAGE?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3BEQ, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"Most" is a pretty strong word....

Dave
    W7UUU

AF7XT, N6HCM, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I just take the money I would have spent on a YL, and use it for my AR hobby instead. :eek:

Then again, when I see how stingy I am with my AR hobby, it goes a long way to explain the lack of a YL here. ;)

KI6IPO, AF7XT and VK4HAT like this.
  3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't know how to compete against a guys hobby whether it is ham radio, hot rods, or whatever and they don't like it. It's pretty easy to understand how to compete against another woman.

Everyone say that they "love" their partner but "love" means different things to different people and often little thought is given to what it means to the other person in the relationship.
    No meeting of the minds on that and it can be dramatically different between people.

N2EY likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, if one studies the subject, it's not just young people that don't understand the concept of matrimony. Divorce isn't a new thing at all.

Here's one source - there are many others.

https://www.divorcelawyersformen.com/blog/divorce-rate-us-2018/

A bit of research into historical data reveals that the divorce rate skyrocketed in the 1960s and 1970s, peaked in the 1980s....and then began to decline. It is still declining today, and is considerably lower than it was 30-40 years ago.

So don't single out "young people", because they're doing a better job of staying married than those who came before them.

WU8Y and N2SR like this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

AI:

The secret is simple: When she says "jump", ask how high on the way up and permission to come down! :rolleyes:

Seriously, it is to know when to argue and when not to argue. My daughters can never say that they never heard their parents argue because they certainly have heard us argue.

When I was working in downtown Dallas, I was often "in the field" and not in my office. However, when I was there, when the vice president's secretary needed help with something, she would ask me. The secretary said the reason she always wanted me to help was because I had a wife and 3-daughters. Therefore, I was "well trained"!

Today, especially with the "me first" crowd, too many people are not willing to compromise expecting to get their way all of the time. Frankly, that is just not going to happen in the real world.

At least in my family, and in my wife's family as well, long term marriage has been the norm. My wife is the "baby" of her family with her eldest sister being 11-years older. Her eldest sister was married for over 60-years until her husband died, just short of his 93rd birthday, last year. Her middle sister has been married for over 60-years. My wife's mother was married for over 30-years until her father died. My wife's grandparents, both sides, were married for over 60-years.

My parents were married over 40-years when my father died and his parents were married for almost 40-years when my grandfather died. My mother's father and mother did divorce but each got remarried and were married for over 30-years when they died.

My eldest daughter is on her 2nd husband. However, her 1st husband was killed in a traffic accident. My middle daughter has been married for almost 25-years and my youngest daughter has been married for going on 20-years. None of my grandchildren, well the 2 granddaughters that are old enough, are married. As such, I don't know if the tradition will continue!

Glen, K9STH

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

OR a "better job of not getting married at all"

NONE of my 5 kids (2 of my own, 3 steps) has any interest in getting married - all but one are in long-term committed relationships and just have no interest. At all.

I think that all of them having personal experience watching their parents divorce, have decided it's easier in the long run to just avoid marriage. One of them even says "I just don't want to bother with 'practice marriages' - not worth the trouble". She's 31 and been with her guy for years with zero plans to marry.

Attitudes are different in the 30-and-below age group these days

Dave
    W7UUU

KX4O likes this.
  7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I read somewhere that the divorce rate is increasing among new retirees. It kind of makes sense. A lot of problems could have been masked by the fact that both were busy with either career, or raising children.

I'm retiring in 3 years. I joke with my wife that retirement will be the real test.:D:D:D

8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

She maintains her freedom, independence and individuality that way. Can "come and go" as she pleases without having to answer to anyone and can end the relationship at any time.

9. W7UUU

Not just her - he has that option as well. Young folks' relationships these days (in my own personal obvservations) do not follow the old school models. The one partner carries just as much weight as the other partner, and has just the same rights as the other.

Dave
    W7UUU

N6HCM, W2AI and N2EY like this.
  10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

But...but, is there any difference after 4 or 5 years, legally speaking. Yes, there is the relationship, but the break down of a long term relationship does not avoid the legal aspects of it.

One may not be able to simply walk away with the K3, linear, beams, etc, if you know what I mean.;)