IS HAM RADIO AFFECTING YOUR MARRIAGE?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3BEQ, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty much. If ones partner is complaining about what one is doing all the time, perhaps one have been negligent in their responsibilities as a partner. And what sort of man does not put his wife and family above all else?

N6HCM, WZ7U, WA8OLN and 3 others like this.
  2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Most woman do not like anything that takes attention away from them. I consider it selfish myself.

WU8Y likes this.
  3. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Definition: wife = narcissist

50 guys can be in a bar, just enjoying whatever. Then, enters 1 bar hog, or maybe someone's spouse. The once enjoyable shelter instantly changes for the worse. I never could figure out why this happens, or has to be.

Life's lesson per Rodney....."why can't we just get along" ?

WU8Y likes this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see if we can all guess what the problem here is...

KK6RPX and N2EY like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Give us a hint....

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All depends on how someone REALLY defines "marriage". And it works both ways.

Some folks really want a "partner in life".

Others just want a live-in maid/sugar daddy who does - certain other functions. (It works both ways).

But IMHO the biggest problem is that too many folks don't realize how much time, effort and work it takes to have a good marriage....both before and after the wedding.

N2SR likes this.
  7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is why the divorce rate is so high. Lack of understanding and commitment that is involved in matrimony. People are like water--they seek out others at their own socio-economic status level.

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In less than 2-months, I will have been married to the same woman for 54-years. I had already been an amateur radio operator for 6-years when we got married and she was well aware of that fact. She has absolutely no interest in amateur radio although, on trips she will sometimes get interested when I am having a QSO with certain people.

My wife was happy when I retired the Heath MR-1 Comanche receiver and MT-1 Cheyenne transmitter that took up 1/3rd of the leg-room in our Ford Falcon and replaced it with a trunk-mount Motorola T43GGV-1130A FM unit. That "itty bitty" control head allowed for so much more room in the vehicle!

She does insist that there be a 2-meter FM unit in the vehicle, "just in case", even though we do have a cellular telephone.

Having been in the commercial two-way business for decades, including owning community repeaters, my wife, as well as my 3-daughters, know how to use a radio and definitely did use the radio. They did not suffer from "mike fright". One morning, as I was on my way to my office in downtown Dallas, my wife came on one of my community repeaters saying "that damned cat!" My eldest daughter's cat had a habit of bringing in "gifts" and that particular morning it was a small snake. The snake was very much alive! Fortunately, the snake was harmless.

There has always been at least 1 mobile radio in every vehicle including my wife's and all of my daughters' automobiles when they were living at home. Whenever one of my daughters' friends asked why there was a two-way radio in their car, the daughter would just say that the radio was "insurance" and it was the same thing with my wife. There were very few locations where one of my community repeaters did not cover.

Besides, my wife has her interests including her clock collection (which, as of a couple of weeks ago, is up to 56-clocks and I don't know how many watches). As such, she doesn't worry about my interests.

Glen, K9STH

KX4O likes this.
  9. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hey Glen, what is your secret in marriage longevity?? Many young people today simply don't understand the concept of matrimony.

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The secret?

Always say yes, but don't always follow up.:D

Always have the last word: Yes, sweetheart, on my way.:D

Seriously though, N2EY nailed it when he wrote:

1) "Some folks really want a "partner in life"."

Life in the widest possible way, and it requires sacrifices from both sides. One half has as many legitimate aspirations, desires, dreams, and yes, rights, as the other half.

2) "Others just want a live-in maid/sugar daddy who does - certain other functions. (It works both ways)."

This one is self explanatory. If this was the original plan, the parties may have signed the wrong kind of contract.

For me, 28 years and counting. While one can always nitpick, human nature I guess, I can say without a doubt that I'm a very lucky guy.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    N2EY likes this.