ad: GNOHF-1

IS HAM RADIO AFFECTING YOUR MARRIAGE?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3BEQ, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I took care of the problem in 1995 and got a newer model.

KD2ACO likes this.
  2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

When my wife was 8 or 9. her best friend's dad was a ham and spent all of his time out in a separate shack (to get away from his wife) so Jen was really afraid when I got my ticket that I'd disappear too.

The first thing I did was to put a nice FM broadcast receiving dipole up on the roof mast with my HF antenna and hook that into the stereo for full quieting on the station where she works (WNYC). That was a good move. Also, I have a few hours a week that I can ham around and nobody's home so that time doesn't encroach on all the other things going on.

No collisions at all.

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife passed away in 2007 we had been married for 36 years. I was a ham for 6 years before we were married and in fact, took ham gear along on our honeymoon through the New England states. She was very tolerant of ham radio and my many other hobbies over the years.

I would joke that the best way to get a new item of ham gear into the shack was to have so much of it that she would never notice you picked up a new piece of gear.

N8SAN likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My answer: NO, not at all.

She knows where to find me.

She also knows now and then I'll be away 2-3-4 days to go operate a contest from somewhere that's not here. She doesn't mind that, either, and uses that time to do girl stuff that doesn't interest me...like shopping, or getting together with her ladyfriends to gab or whatever they do.

NK2U and KD2ACO like this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow...U da man!!!;)

K3XR likes this.
  6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

It has most definitely affected my marriage.

My wife like ham radio so much that she studied hard and became a ham. Then she upgraded to General and finally Extra. I am EXTREMELY proud of her. She took the old saying "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" literally.

I don't know if she married the right man or not, but I sure married the right woman...

John
    K4AGO

NK2U, KD2ACO and KC8VWM like this.
  7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. K3BEQ

K3BEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard of a ham who on the day of their anniversary took his wife to see a repeater site....Some sort of weird present...

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Please, tell us there was a nice Swiss Chalet type bed&breakfast up there.;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page