IS HAM RADIO AFFECTING YOUR MARRIAGE?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3BEQ, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They were discussing QRM?

2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then they need to talk more, or the resenting spouse needs to get out more him or herself.
    The world doesn't revolve around them...
    Resentment is negative.

3. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, but talking to strangers on the radio is a lot safer and easier, because they don't really know you anyway.

4. K3BEQ

K3BEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither does the spouse if they don't talk to each other. If you are not safe and relaxed talking to your spouse, best head for the lawyer...Not much of a marriage there..

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My XYL has never wanted to get a license, but she's always been supportive of me, and has always enjoyed the social aspects of our hobby.

How supportive? When we got married I was a dyed-in-the-wool used buyer. I hadn't had a new rig in a long time. She quickly laid down the law: "Get what you want, and buy it new. Call HRO!" :)

NK2U likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

99.9% of the time in a relationship like that, there are far deeper problems than ham radio. ;)

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

D'oh...keep the lawyers out of these things, you'll lose your K3, linear, etc.:D

Better call a priest/pastor, one with a ham ticket.:p

WU8Y and K3BEQ like this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's weird how I do ham radio.... It's an on/off sort of thing. Sometimes I get on for month's at a time straight. Then I stop for month's at a time. So it's not something I am constantly doing all the time.

No problem with the wife as she's fully supportive of it including the so-called ugly antenna's I play with that comes with the territory. She's not licensed, nor is she interested in becoming licensed because it's just not her kind of thing.

She went to a few Field Day events with me before and was mostly bored with it all. She also doesn't like to go shopping with me at a ham radio store any differently than I don't like to go shopping with her in a shoe store. ...It's just not her thing, but she doesn't care if I like to do that. She pokes fun at me for my "nerdy hobby" on occasion which she views as a bunch of like minded nerds talking technical gibberish with one another. We both sort of just laugh about it all and it's understood that it's just her own perspective of things.

But she really doesn't care about it good, bad, or indifferent either way. She has purchased ham radio gifts for me like an FT-817 for my Birthday and other equipment like this before. So it doesn't bother her that I play with ham radio.

The way we both look at the entire amateur radio thing is it's something I do that makes me happy. So yes, I suppose I would definitely have a problem with a wife who wants to take my happiness away from me. I think that would be a problem in any relationship. Wife agrees with this principle in practice, and so we both get along with my nerdy hobby just fine. :)

W8YPV, KD1W, W2AI and 3 others like this.
  9. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My spouse is a former scout leader, and she's big on preparedness, and preparedness-related hobbies like camping, fishing, archery, and amateur radio.

She's been 100% supportive of my radio shenanigans, but I've tried to plan my antenna experiments to fit the aesthetics of our property.

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Me, "Honey, look at all of the nice crushed stone walkways I did while you were away for 4 days"
    Wife, "So, how does it help the antennas"?
    Me, well, there is welded wire fencing all connected together to make the antenna work better".
    Wife, "Nice walkways, honey".

My Wife is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
    I ragchew for an hour or so after dinner. She colors, sketches or paints. Then, we play Gin or Canasta.
    We only get a couple Saturdays off together per month. Usually go fishing, thrift shopping, or just lay there & watch TV.

Ed

VK4HAT likes this.