IS HAM RADIO AFFECTING YOUR MARRIAGE?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3BEQ, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

When we watch TV in the evenings, she's usually playing games on her phone and I'm working FT8 on my laptop.

KK5JY likes this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps you should join a multi-player game with her, that would be more challenging than FT8! ;)

3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

4. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

My first wife, who passed away unexpectantly on our 18th wedding anniversary, was a ham. She was not particularly active on the air though we did use VHF to keep in touch in that era before cell phones. Those years were among my most active as a ham as I had the big station, tower and large yagis that helped me achieve honor roll and what eventually became 7BDXCC. She was totally supportive as she was of my profession and our growing family.

My present wife of 26 + years is also a ham (Advanced class). While we were dating and after our marriage until our daughter was born she was actually fairly active and achieved DXCC and a few other awards. She is not active on the air today though she is supportive of the hamming I do these days. All 4 of my children were licensed at one time. Two still are though only one is active on the air. Well actually the other one is active on the radio as well--but not ham radio. She is a full time 9-1-1 Dispatcher and has all the talking on the radio she can handle during her 12 hour shifts :)

W9CQG, NK2U, N0TZU and 6 others like this.
  5. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha, life has challenges enough, and FT8 is a nice break from that. She plays the cookie jam/candy crush varieties.

NL7W likes this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not just wives who hate ham radio.

KK5JY, N2EY, W1BR and 1 other person like this.
  7. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

My XYL isn’t a ham but she supports me and my daughter and our amateur radio activities. We are blessed.

W8YPV, NK2U, K3KIC and 3 others like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Husbands? :eek:

9. K3BEQ

K3BEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K3BEQ

K3BEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think one of the main problems is that the spouse resents the ham talking to strangers and very little to each other.

VK4HAT, KX4O and W0VRA like this.