Is Ham Gear Too Expensive? Or, Are Some Hams' Expectations Unrealistic?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Sep 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I can speculate on a couple of possibilities.....

1) Some folks are afraid of those who are....."different". This is expressed in all sorts of ways, most of them ending in -ism.

2) Some folks were taught, or learned, that the universe works a certain way, and they accepted it completely. So when something challenges that mindset, they feel threatened - even when the challenge doesn't affect them in any way.

3) In recent times, it has become possible for same-sex couples to get married. Here in the USA, "straight" folks have a marriage success rate of 50 to 60 percent - and it's been that way for over 50 years. What if - just SUPPOSE - same-sex couples wind up having a higher marriage success rate? Not saying they will - it's way too soon too tell, and the sample size is way too small - but - just SUPPOSE that they do? And then "straight" folks would be asking them "what's the secret?"

2. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm reminded of an old line: "I'm for gay marriage--why should only straights be miserable?"

Gawd, I really need to put up a beam & spend less time on the 'zed...

K4MSM, W4IOA and N2EY like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For decades while living in Oregon I took people fishing for salmon never asking a dime, it was my pleasure. Wow I look back and think about all the fish boated over the years, what great fun. That's one thing I'll miss now I moved to the south.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, rumor is Steve, you ought to know... weren’t you one of them? :p:p

5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Give a man a fish.....and he will eat for a day.

Teach a man to fish.....and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

The right path should be obvious.....

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

And that explains why H.A.M. gear is too expensive and expectations are often unrealistic.

7. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's spelled hAm

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Every now and then I meet an XYL who actually arranges the latter for her hubby, just to get him out of the house for a while.

9. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A ham dropped a dime, couldn't find it, the result was the Grand Canyon.

W4IOA and K4MSM like this.
  10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

not sure what all this stuff has to do with the price of radios!