Is Ham Gear Too Expensive? Or, Are Some Hams' Expectations Unrealistic?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Sep 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

As it applies to a newcomer it may be less about forgetting antennas more about not learning or if they attended some sort of a training class it could either be a lack of sufficient emphasis on antennas or failing to absorb the information reached this conclusion from listening to new hams using their HT to access a 440 repeater and not having much success this may be as a result of them thinking the repeater site is similar to a cell phone tower(s) when the repeater site may be borderline or beyond the range of the HT. Time will likely increase knowledge .

2. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is Ham Gear Too Expensive?

No.

WG8Z, W7JZE, KH6KK and 2 others like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

For those who think ham radio is expensive, don't go into boating.

N1FMV, W7JZE, KE0JJG and 4 others like this.
  4. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an FTDX-1200. It was $1,068.00 out the door.

Where I work, we have a Microfiche scanner. This scanner cost nearly $100,000.00! The reason for the high price is the manufacturer sells less than 10 units annually. Our production scanners average $30,000 each. Annual sales of these scanners are in the "double digit" range and the price reflects it.

5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I do agree you on this one Jim. I think you can get a great new rig for a very low price if you want to. I bought my first new rig in about 1976. It was an Yaesu FT - 101EE. If I remember right it cost me around $550.00. That was a lot of money for me at the time as I was in school and just worked part time when I was not in school. I did go to the bank and they loaned me the money to get it. I don't know if is as easy for a senior in HS to walk into a bank and get a loan. It was a different time back then and it was a town of about 5000 people and my dad had a great relationship with the bank over the years. So that may of helped.

But and where fast forward 40 years and I got a new 450D for $750.00. That is just $200.00 more than my first one 40 years ago. (And it was still working after 40 years and when I sold it.) What else is out there new that has only increased $200.00 in 40 years?? And if I remember right I sold it for around $250.00. That means it cost me $300.00 dollars to use it for 40 years. That means I used it for $7.50 dollars a year.

Now some of the gear, like the Icom -7600 that I see costs from Giga Parts for $2600.00, may be a good buy but it is above my price point. I have never researched it so I don't know why it costs so much and is it worth spending $1850.00 more than I spent to get the 7600. It may be a dream radio and if someone can afford it that is great. But my 450D does everything I need and I have made hundreds of contacts on it. So I hope it lasts longer than I do and I never have to buy another new radio again.

Whenever I buy something I always shop around on line to find the best price. I don't call my self cheap I just call it being a good steward of my money that God has given me. I just bought a "2017 Lo-Bak TRAX Portable Spinal Traction Device Easy Comfortable" I saw on TV and they wanted I think close to $40.00 for it. I always wanted something like this as I rigged up a way to stretch my back like that and it felt so good but it was a hassle the way I did it. So I shopped around and bought one direct from China for $16.00. That was worth the savings. Also I wanted a new Kindle HD 8 to replace my old HD7. So I have been selling stuff on eBay that I don't need to finance it and then shopped around. Amazon wants $79.99 for it and I found a new one from an eBay company for $55.00 so I checked them out and bought from them. I am just waiting for it to arrive. I buy a lot on eBay and Amazon. And the same item can range in price a lot on eBay. Also if I can find what I want on Amazon most of what I get from them is free shipping via Amazon Prime.

So all this to say yes ham equipment is very low cost in 2017 unless you want to spend $3000 for some reason.

John, WB0MPB

KC3BZJ likes this.
  6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured out a cheap way to fight local noise on the low bands. Two flag arrays--one close to the house and another in the back yard. Fed with cheap coax. Typically a local noise source will only be a problem in one of the arrays, not both. Of course, for some extra money you can run both arrays into a null canceler.

Zack W1VT

KK5JY likes this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

HEY EY this guy is younger than you and a hell of a lot smarter.

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Half of Americans would have to go into debt to afford unexpected $500 expense...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-americans-cant-afford-a-500-emergency-expense/

FTA:

Fifty-seven percent of Americans don’t have enough cash to cover a $500 unexpected expense, according to a new survey...

As a result 57% of Americans have no business being in ham radio, because it would either put them financially underwater, or so close that it is irresponsible to the healthy fulfillment of the rest of their family obligations.

It's not about ham radio being too expensive. It's about too many people who can't afford the lives they already live, even without radio.

W7JZE likes this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice. I have had a lot of fun designing and building all kinds of receive antennas for HF and LF, and they are a life-saver when contests roll around. :cool:

10. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a newly licensed novice in 1969, Collins and Drake rigs were just a dream.

At the school club, I got to use the R4b, far better than the HR-10 I had at home. The Drake TR4 at that tine was over $700, which is around $5000 in todays mini-dollars, the price of a very high end rig today.

Today I use a TS-590, which on some days is a better rig than I am an operator :) In 1969 dollars, it cost just over $200 new. IMHO ham radio is relatively FAR cheaper today.

K1OIK likes this.