Is Ham Gear Too Expensive? Or, Are Some Hams' Expectations Unrealistic?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Sep 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether something is "expensive" is another subjective value judgment. Given this is a hobby and not a necessary expense, this is another academic debate with no real answer except to occupy someone's free time. To state the obvious, "expensive" is a relative term.

Some think cars are expensive. Same for food, medicine, the latest IPhone, vacation home, etc..

Fortunately, we live in a First World country where people actually think this is of any importance.

W7JZE likes this.
  2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio amateurs are among the cheapest people on earth. How do I know?
    Because I am one myself, but have the insight to admit it. The sometimea ridiculous prices demanded at hamfests and in Internet ads for outdated decades old gear is quite telling. Also the expecttions for "value for money" for newer gear are sometimes completely unrealialistic. Amateur radio is a low-volune niche market with small margins, using a lot of special hardware components such as RF power transistors.

Should "normal" pricing and depreciation rules for consumer products be followed with amateur gear, I would estimate that it would cost 50% more, and depreciate to 50% after 3 years or so.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

N2EY and K7JEM like this.
  3. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

This made me laugh. I've been buying and selling for 30+ years. I musta own 100+ radios. People I deal with are no different than the general population. Trader wars, O K.

4. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

this is why i never buy used and never sell my equipment. I'd rather it sit unused or give it away to a worthy recipient. . . I recently tried to do it again and had the exact same experience which reinforced my rule on not trying to sell anything again.

N6HCM and W5WN like this.
  5. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad you enjoyed it. Judging from your reply, and only that, I would guess that you are firmly in the trader wars segment of this very diverse hobby. Glad I am, that you enjoy it.

I don't.

So, what exactly do you do with 100+ radios? Do you mean that you currently have that many lying around, or was that a cumulative number?

How many of the 100+ radios can you use or do you use at any given time? Or do you just trade them and trade them and trade them?

6. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Like Mrs. Hillary Clinton what difference does it make

KD4MOJ likes this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Mr. EY I will give the devil his due, I agree with you.

8. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I find there's a strong correlation between my perception of "too expensive" and the lack of money in my pocket at the time.

KG4RRH, K4MSM, W7JZE and 5 others like this.
  9. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Stating the obvious and so very true.

When I was flying I thought airplanes were expensive but as EY will point out, they are a real bargain, all you have to do is THINK about it.

10. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

That danged EY...every time with him!!

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.