Is FT8 Killing Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0LWC, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Knock it off you two. This is serious.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Posting about it just makes it worse. :D

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got on FT8 fairly near the beginning. One reason? PSK31 contacts were becoming fewer and farther between before anybody much knew what an "FT8" was... :D

4. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You think making the test so easy a small child can pass is a factor?

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

6. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

No.

upload_2018-9-14_20-23-26.png

N2EY likes this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The top band guys are drooling over those numbers... when the K drops back into the green here in a few days, they'll be all over it.

8. WD4ED

WD4ED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SFI of 70?!?! Holy crap it went up!

Ed

WZ7U likes this.
  9. N2NH

N2NH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems that Ham Radio was doing a good enough job of dying long before FT8 came along. Instead of bemoaning the mode, maybe it's time to embrace it. Ham Radio is now very active and that's never a bad thing. So you have the latest Quad/Yagi/LPDA up 150 feet? Good for you. Most people do not. And that means becoming active on digital modes, especially when the bands are dead.

Can CW can cut it? Yep but not like FT8.

So is FT8 killing Ham Radio? No, it isn't. If it works, don't fix it in my humble opinion. And it seems to be working very well.

KB4QAA, K3EY, KP4SX and 2 others like this.
  10. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt! Instead of complaining how amateur radio ain't what it used to be, take the opportunity to evolve with the hobby.

You can always use your mode and method of choice. But fish with the right bait and you'll have a lot more contacts, and perhaps even some fun.
    At the moment, there are over 1900 active FT8 monitors. I doubt there's that many for any other mode of recent.

I've heard over 300 unique stations in the past 24 hours. And 40+ countries.

I've never met a mode I wasn't willing to work. And certainly can't complain about one that I might have limited experience with. Such as many of the FT8 nay-sayers do.

FT8sample001.PNG

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    N2NH, KB4QAA, K3EY and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.