Is FT8 Killing Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0LWC, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's where the "to me" comes in. Anyhow, it's the only reason I can think of that some people (and I don't mean you) are seemingly obsessed with the death of ham radio.

2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I had really hoped to avoid that connection.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe so. This particular thread seems to be mostly concerned with the exodus from other modes to concentrate on FT8.

4. KK5JY

If it's true, Facebook is a much bigger contributor to universal annihilation. ;)

WZ7U and K3XR like this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You have the HOA/antenna crowd lamenting the fact they can't operate due to certain restrictions and here is a mode FT-8 which can produce very good results with minimum power and antennas seems to me that would be a real plus for those folks.

W5TTW and W4RAV like this.
  6. KK5JY

Pure propaganda(*). ;)

(*) /sarcasm, /parody, /humor...

K3XR likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I was going to mail in my reply but I figured this would be faster.

K3XR likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

If they can't be heard reliably on CW or SSB it makes sense. Bands were pretty empty BEFORE FT8 came along.

AD5HR likes this.
  9. KK5JY

I can't speak for SSB, since I almost never frequent those segments.

CW has been active fairly consistently for the last 15y or so. It's not nearly as easy to spot on PSK reporter, and the contacts are spread out frequency-wise, but the conversational CW folks stay active.

As far as not being able to hear for CW or SSB, those kinds of conditions do indeed push people away from SSB and CW into certain kinds of digimodes. That said, digimodes that can reliably operate below the threshold of human hearing predated FT8 by at least a decade. In other words, FT8 didn't "solve" that problem, it is merely the most recent addition to the family of modes that use MFSK and clever encoding to operate below human-threshold SNR conditions.

W4RAV likes this.
  10. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

The bands are still pretty empty aside from the FT8 watering holes. <g>
    Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.