Is Everyone at ARRL jumping off the Plane???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, Sep 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM4OZ

KM4OZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sadly, constructive responses to questions like this are rare. Folks love to grumble. For those noting the "1 in 5"membership numbers, consider how many licensed hams are completely inactive for various reasons, including "just got tech for a school project" etc etc. For active, interested hams I suspect the membership rate is much higher.
    Those with unmet representation needs should join, contribute ideas, vote etc. But, that is like, work. Easier to grumble. Like so many organizations and activities, if you don't participate, do some work, contribute in SOME way, you got nothing, and the people who DO the work, get the say. Thus has it always been. The two clubs I have been recent members in, who are a big part of the active hams in the respective areas, are pro ARRL, get a lot out of it, and help feed the future of the hobby. Just sayin'.

WA8FOZ, KA4DPO, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Mostly some stuff that happened over 50 years ago, before I was a ham.

That's kind of a tricky question, since most of the culprits are now dead. So I guess complaining about it for another 50 years is probably the best course of action.

KA0HCP, WA8FOZ and N2EY like this.
  3. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Morning Jim, Dick. K4DL seems to be an accomplished ham. I'd like to hear his thoughts too. Maybe he'll answer your question when he checks the thread?

@K4DL "I am the trustee on our club repeater. I was elected Vice-President of the Alabama Repeater Council (ARC) and became President after the resignation of the elected President. The ARC was created by repeater owners and operators from all over the state of Alabama back in the 1980s to provide a means of cooperation for existing and proposed repeaters to mitigate interference. The ARC is the only organization in Alabama made up of Repeater owners, operators, and trustees from every county in the state working together to enhance the pleasure of the hobby for all. I am honored to serve the organization, the repeater owners and operators, and all licensed amateurs in this capacity."

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well stated.

5. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

But we still don't know his concerns. Maybe he was or is a member. Maybe he contributed ideas and voted. Looks like he's done lots of work.
    We can't really cut him off at the knees unless we know his concerns. Maybe send him a PM if you're interested. Lend him an ear and he may explain.

N2EY likes this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been an ARRL member from 1966 to 1968, and from 1974, to present. Suffice to say, I sometimes strongly disagree with some of the initiatives put forth by ARRL. However, if I didn't think the benefits that the organization provides to amateur radio outweighed the stuff I don't like, I would not continue to support them. So Even though I gripe sometimes, I still support the ARRL, and will continue to do so. And because I contribute to the organization, I do have some right to complain about things I may not care for.

N2EY, K4NWD, KM4OZ and 1 other person like this.
  7. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a long time member too and I think constructive criticism in needed for continuous improvement. There are some hare-brained ideas in the mix but some good ones too.
    I like the pics of new equipment in QST, the equipment product reviews, and the lab and expertise of W1RFI especially.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not allowing Directors to discuss what is going on with members.
    The poor quality of QST today
    The drop in membership
    The higher membership fees that further lowers membership
    Not allowing the members to have a say in what is done
    Only informing members after something has been enacted and not allowing members to overturn it.
    The wasted money for ARES Connect that we all knew would not work but no one cared
    FCC proposals against the majority of members wishes.
    Allowing registered sex offenders who have been convicted of sex crimes against children to be a part of the field organization
    ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC. ETC.

9. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To the ARRL I am nobody.

K1OIK likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the massive group. We are nothing more than a revenue stream.

K4DL likes this.