ad: elecraft

Is electronics knowledge still relevant in amateur radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4RAV, Feb 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the exact formula for making a small fortune in independent trucking!

2. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent job on that Distinguished Expert badge! I've yet to do so, but it's on my list. I've only been at this since 2014. Conceal/carry instruction, so far, is my bread-n-butter. Which, in a way, is unfortunate. It bothers me a bit that people can legally carry a firearm with so little training and never be required (at least in Oregon) to actually fire it. I try to get everyone to at least go to the range with me a couple times.

Keep trying on the business! Enough time and effort will be rewarding I'm sure. Be sure to utilize the NRA instructor's portal to list your classes. They show up in search-engines, which is likely the first place people look.

3. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is that? In most industry somebody is making money. If no one is making money the macro reason is too many suppliers for the amount of demand driving the cost of service down. When no money is being made due to low price in the industry suppliers leave the market. As a result prices go up and so to profits. Now the micro reason. My wife's parents own a restaurant and have for 40 years. They make not much money because the management expertise is lacking to lead employees. They do all the work and cant generate enough revenue to make much money. In business the idea is to leverage revenue and profits off of employees. It takes management and leadership to do this but you must have employees to do the work and your job to bring in customers. This is why successful small business people make lots of money. They know how to leverage profits off of employees. Not many can do it. Those that can are highly compensated.

4. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I strongly agree on the training requirements. In Ohio, we have a minimum of 6 hours classroom instruction and 2 hours live-fire instruction on the range. In my opinion, it's not enough. In any case, I appreciate the encouragement.

W4RAV likes this.
  5. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

So, you DO care about my livelihood? If you read what you quoted, you wouldn't have needed to answer. The creativity I spoke of wasn't regarding taxes as much as it was ideas of how to make a business out of your hobby. Anyway, moving on...

Rag accepted. Although I have a feeling none of this is a new idea to you.

A bit over-simplified, but if you're doing so to make a profit, and earn money, sounds like it could work (ask your tax people). Particularly the recommending (aka reviews) part. I'm sure there are plenty of book critics who do something similar to what you propose. Perhaps a monetized youtube page. Maybe submit your reviews to publications. Sounds like the start of turning what you love into income-generation!

I figure you won't make more than you spend on books, unless you become quite the antiquarian. Perhaps bin-dive at your local thrift-stores for gems. Sure, you can write off your inventory, but you should be making money on them. The write-offs come in office-supplies, the car to haul them around, the book-club memberships... ya know.. expenses to run the business.

I doubt there's a hobby out there that one can't turn into a legal, profitable business. Takes time, effort, and yes, creativity. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So if I am reading this correctly one requires employees to exploit in order to run a successful business? Well I guess that might work for a while. I would rather hope that a successful business works for employees as well as owners.

W4RAV likes this.
  7. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew that would get you attention ....only Bob is low class ,,, not Pirate class.

8. WA4KCN

Indeed it does. The growth of a business means jobs. Using employees for leverage of revenue benefits the employees, the customer and the owner. And the more customers a business has the more managers it needs further benefiting the employee. Without employees a business cant get past the mom and pop stage. Employees are the business, The problem is that most people who own a business understand their product or service they are providing but don't have the business acumen to make successful the business. One last thing. It's America. If you have the nerve, try and start your own business. Good Luck

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Marconi plays the mamba. Listen to the radio!

10. WA4KCN

excellent