Is Dayton still worth the trip?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KC8AHN, Mar 23, 2010.

?

Has Dayton gotten to be nothing special?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2010.
  1. Its Dayton, what is not to love?

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. The flea market is great

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. The forums are all I attend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I like the exhibits, but nothing else

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. It is really just another hamfest

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if seeing some of the latest manufacturer have to offer is available at you local Ham Fest, then Dayton is just another one. If the possibility of winning some really top of the line gear is also run of the mill at the local fest, then skip Dayton.

If the flea market in you neck of the woods is like a touchy feely eBay - then stay home.

Otherwise, Dayton is a cool ham fest.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I plan to go this year, already booked the flight and the hotel.

It's a 4400 mile round trip from here and I think it's worth it.

3. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We make it an annual pilgrimage. Unfortunately, many of our favorite resturants have closed over the past several years.

4. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess if you think a Ferrari is just another car, Erie is just another lake, the moon landing was just another rocket launch, the Queen Marry was just another boat, the Indy 500 is just another car race, the Kentucky Derby is just another horse race then you would probably think Dayton is just another Hamfest:D

5. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, And if you go, find the time to go to the USAF Museum on Wright-Patterson AFB. It's worth it (entrance is free) and not to far out of the way.

Where else can you see a XB-71 Valkyrie (since there is only one remaining of the two ever built - uhmmm, nowhere)? A SR-71, A B-36 up close and personal. How Bout a ME-262, B-52 and on and on and on....

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually would like to go but for the first half of my life I was too broke and the second half of my life, too busy.

7. N8CBJ

N8CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be going this year. Of course, I live about 20 minutes from Hara Arena...
    Anyone that goes, check in to the FOARC repeater, 147.135+ for chatting, directions, etc. It is not an official talk-in freq, but we like to help!

8. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure hope it is worth it. I go to almost every hamfest within 200 miles of me. Seems that as of late all this has accomplished is disappointment. The best thing I saw at the last hamfest was an SX-100 and a 1937 ARRL handbook. Both of which were overpriced. But at least I get to converse with people that I only get to see a few times a year. Dayton will allow me to see people that I have not seen in about seven years. This is also one of the main reasons I go to Shelby almost every year. Though I must say that Shelby is my favorite of all hamfests Dayton included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.