Is Dayton still worth the trip?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KC8AHN, Mar 23, 2010.

?

Has Dayton gotten to be nothing special?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2010.
  1. Its Dayton, what is not to love?

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. The flea market is great

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. The forums are all I attend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I like the exhibits, but nothing else

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. It is really just another hamfest

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8AHN

KC8AHN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have talked to some local hams who have been going to Dayton for years, and they seem to be in the some conclusion, that it is really getting to be just a regular old hamfest and nothing special. Just wanting to get others thoughts on it. I have not been there in about 10 years, and being only a couple hours away, I am thinking about making the trip this year. Thoughts, opinions?

Just a side note, the times I have been there, I was not impressed with the flea market, there way way to much non-ham stuff.

2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If your interested in any aspect of Amateur Radio go. As far as the flea market goes just walk past the non radio vendors if their of no interest. At Dayton there are PLEANTY of radio related tables in the flea market. Not sure how you make the comparison that it is just another Hamfest, you must have some GREAT Hamfests around you. I would be interested in which Hamfests compare to Dayton as I would like to attend.

3. KC8AHN

KC8AHN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me stress I am not saying these things, but am being told, which is why I asked. I enjoyed my last trip 10 years ago.

4. AB8XE

AB8XE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure it would be well worth the trip, but I wont be going. It is for people with disposable income and time, and even those of us lucky enough to still be employed, both of those commodities are in short supply.

5. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I go for the socializing.

However my calendar is too busy this year so I can't really go.

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I suggest you go and see for yourself!! ;)

Last year was my first trip to Dayton in 40 years as a ham. I have no idea why I waited so long! I had a great time and while folks said the crowd wasn't as large as in the past, it was still by far the largest hamfest I had ever been to. Indeed, it was pretty hard to get around and see everything in two days.

I'm headed back this year with a group of ham buddies and plan on driving up from Florida with my SUV, IC-706 Mk II and ID-880H (D-Star) radios to play with on the road. Though I don't plan on buying anything special, if I see something, who knows. I'll also have plenty of room to bring back goodies for my buddies who are flying up in case they can't get their stuff on the plane!

Should be a great time!!

................Bob

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I can drive a week from San Diego and then a week back, the rest of you can come too! It darned well better be the ULTIMATE of ULTIMATE Hamfests!! It was when I last came around 1985. This will be a 4400 mile trip (ok Roundtrip) to get there and back.

SURE want to see everyone here on QRZed there!

8. W4HAY

W4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy it, when I get to go. Unfortunately, it's often on the same weekend as the Rolex 3-day equestrian event in Lexington, KY.

9. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Been there done that. Same as most hamfests just bigger. Probably won't go again. Prefer the local ones but going to less of them these days. Many are not worth the drive anymore.

10. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wellllll, Yes. Like most other Hamfests but a WHOLE lot bigger with a WHOLE lot more be it forums, distributors, manufacteurs, flea market, special interest hospitality rooms, special interest events, fellow hams, meeting dx contacts, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.