Is continued bickering on HRD forum really necessary??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2AI, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Is continuing bickering and personal attacks on QRZ.com HRD forum really necessary??? The only thing that will be accomplished is that newcomers to the hobby will be reluctant to participate on these threads.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If there are posts that you feel are personal attacks or otherwise violate the rules, just hit the "Report" button down at the bottom of that post. Then the Moderators will see it and take action. Most threads here don't get monitored "post by post" by most Moderators - they rely on folks hitting "Report" to raise attention to things that should be, well, moderated.

Heated discussions however are just part of most any hobby forum - as long as they are within the rules and reasonably on topic in a broad sense, it's just the way it goes.

Dave
    W7UUU

AE9AM, KK5JY, K4AGO and 2 others like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I understand, Dave. You, Glen and Charlie do an excellent job in keeping matters under control here.

K4AGO likes this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Are they necessary? Of course not.

Since when did that ever stop some people around here? (And to be fair, that is not a situation unique to these forums or this web site, sad to say. It is the nature of, well, the nature of certain souls)

Oh, and FWIW... I’ve seen worse. Some of the personal attacks over on eHam, for one, have gotten really nasty (especially from several former Zedders currently occupying the metaphorical corn field). Not that that’s an excuse, mind you.

VK6ZGO and KD2ACO like this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just the nature of the online world. It's rare to find a forum where it does not happen. One of the best, of those I know of, is the FlightAware forum, for ADS-B hobbyists.

This is an interesting perspective, Ron.

I'm checking eHam regularly again, after an absence of a few months. Things seem to be much slower than before.

My impression is that there are more 'misunderstandings' here on the Zed, but that is likely due to a larger user base (my guess).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    NN4RH likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Can someone post a link to this HRD thread being referenced? I can't find it...

Dave
    W7UUU

7. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HRD = Ham Radio Discussions.

W2TXB and KA9JLM like this.
  8. W7UUU

Not "Ham Radio Deluxe"? That's what I think of when HRD is mentioned... HRD software has had more than its share of contentious threads over the years LOL!

Either way - if you see an inappropriate post, just "report" it. That's all it takes most of the time.

Dave
    W7UUU

N1DQQ, NK2U, KA2CZU and 5 others like this.
  9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't like complaining :D

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how much more fun forums would be if they were 100% clean, antiseptic, with an iron clad sanitary cordon?:D

Bickering is one thing, complaining may bring changes, redress. It's not always bad.

N1VAU likes this.