Is catalonia an DXCC or a Country?

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by EA7HMB, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. EA7HMB

EA7HMB Ham Member QRZ Page

The answer is NO!

Then, why they can put Catalonia's flag in the profile?

Can I put my flag (andalusia) in my profile?

NO.

What is the criteria?

2. EA5EH

EA5EH Ham Member QRZ Page

yes is not correct this flag in DXCC, i hope a rectification by webmaster of qrz.com

3. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Where is Catalunya listed in DXCC

I just checked the ARRL list and there is no mention of CATALUNYA.

Does anybody know which callsign prefixes are reserved for this land?

-fred

4. PD5SJO

PD5SJO QRZ Volunteer Moderator

DX-atlas gives EA3 for CATALUNYA

5. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Catalonia is a region of Spain much like Texas is a region of the USA. There is a flag of the State of Texas and also a Catalonian flag. Some Texans might prefer to fly the Lone Star state flag than the US Stars & Stripes. Some Catalonias might prefer to fly their multi-striped flag than the flag of Spain.

Generally located in the EA3 callsign area (Barcelona), it's DXCC entity clearly is Spain.

QRZ should avoid becoming embroiled in political matters and utilize the DXCC entity list as a shield. If it is on that list, the ARRL has investiagted the legalities of licensing, etc. Only utilize flags corresponding to the DXCC entity itself, none others.

See: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/docs/flagsoftheworld.html

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  6. EA7HMB

Hi again,

I'm really feel disapointed with the thinks of QRZ admins.

Use the radio for political questions is really a bad choice, but I see that after some days the mistake still unfixed.

I agree with John's (W1DQ) comment, what about let put the confederacy flag for the southern states of the States?

Please show more respect to citizens of Spain,

EA1 to EA7 for Continental Spain (Spanish flag appear in all hamradio profiles of this places, except for some Catolonian people)

EA8 for Canary Islands (Spanish flag appear in all hamradio profiles of this place)

EA9 for Ceuta and Melilla (Spanish flag appear in all hamradio profiles of this place)

I feel very confuse.

I must repeat the question, what is the criteria? Some admin could answer me?

Best Regards,

Fran.

7. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And what of the flags for
    Pookipsee?
    and Flatbush? It's an outrage!!:mad:

Is it really that hard to find a flag and upload it as an avatar or to your bio by yourself??? If it is, turn in your laptops, you're fired!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  8. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, CATALUNYA/CATALONIA should be listed as SPAIN because that's what it's listed as for DXCC.

9. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Our software does not allow custom flags on the basis of user preference. All flags in the upper left corner are tied to the DXCC entity.

For example, you'll nee no flags for Ireland shown on QRZ because, well, the Irish can't agree on which one to use, and, we can't do it for them.

QRZ has no flag 'preference' whatsoever. We just go by the DXCC list.

Of course I we don't mind what flag image you put in your profile.

-fred

10. EA7HMB

Great Fred, then just do it, erase Catalonia as DXCC/Country option.

Michael, I won't put my region flag in my profile, was just an example. Really, the problem isn't the flag, is the "status quo" that QRZ.com recognise to Catalonia, involved in political topics and far away of DXCC or UN criteria.

Thanks, Fran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.