Is "AR" "K" the new "K"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB6BUM, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB6BUM

WB6BUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Having been away from the hobby for over 40 years I have had to learn about a lot of new technologies, and quite a few operating procedures that have apparently changed.
    I was always a CW person, and have returned to my roots. I just came up from my radio room where I heard no less than three CQ calls followed by "AR - K." Have I lost my mind as well as my memory? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.
    Of course I will not answer those calls, because it appears they are already in a QSO with someone. But why then, the AR? I am guessing that there has been a change?

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think there have been people since ' forever' that do that.

3. WB6BUM

WB6BUM Ham Member QRZ Page

But is it now accepted operating procedure?

4. KP4SX

Of course not.

AD5KO, K8AI and N2EY like this.
  5. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why use KN? I can't imagine anyone wanting to break into a contact on CW for almost any reason or is the sender of KN think they are so in demand they don't want breakers?

K8AI, NL7W and K3XR like this.
  6. KP4SX

Or sending CQ with KN at the end.

K8AI likes this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if somebody was sending a macro from a PC, and was looking for a "formfeed" action in a similarly equipped station, followed by "go ahead?" If you interpret AA = CRLF, BT = CRLF-CRLF, and AR = FF, that might make sense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosigns_for_Morse_code

Or perhaps they just read through the list of prosigns, and that kind of ending to their transmission just made sense to them?

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Or a CQ with NOTHING at the end!

KA4DPO, WZ7U and WA7PRC like this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Linked document from the WP page, source is ARRL: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Public Service/MPG304A.pdf

It seems to support the rough mapping that I described above. AA, BT and AR are used roughly as CRLF, 2xCRLF, and FF, as might be used in an ASCII-based digital mode.

I'm not sure if anybody still uses that document, tho...

10. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Or sound lonely sending a CW with a "pse?" at the end.

WZ7U and KA6IBM like this.