Is anyone getting a Pop up with a warning from Norton AV

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N7BTZ, Feb 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N7BTZ

N7BTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tonight was the second time in 2 weeks this has happened. A pop up appears saying I have an infection and Norton must scan my PC … Obvious intrusion of some type and not legit. I do not use Norton on this machine.

I use Task Manager to kill the page … This is the only site that this happens on. I run Malwarebytes premium plus 2 other AV packages and nothing has got in YET.

Just wanted to throw this out for comment.

Thanks!

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Ham Member QRZ Page

You may have an 'extension' or 'add-on' inadvertently installed in your browser. This would not necessarily show up on your virus or malware scans, and it could generate the message you are describing. If this is the case, it is probably not malicious, just profit seeking--but you should still get rid of it.

3. N7BTZ

Thanks for the reply and advice. It hasn't occurred again since this post so something is filtering here or one of the AV programs finally caught it though none indicated a hit. I searched extensions and add-on in all browsers and also searched the PC for anything related to the word Norton. The only instance that got a hit was this post.

Problem seems to be solved but no idea how aside from a guess.

Thanks again

4. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Try clearing the cookies in your browser. Sounds to me like it is something from another site and it pops up the warning from time to time.

5. N7BTZ

McAfee clears, cleans / deletes cookies, history, etc. automatically from all browsers daily using Quick Clean. I also delete browser history with cookies and all items checked (IE) about twice a week. 4 browsers on the PC … Usual group everyone has. This PC is pretty clean from what I can tell and Malwarebytes is very aggressive catching internet bugs. Like I said, hasn't been a problem since I posted the 1st instance. Whatever it was or point of origination appears to be resolved.

6. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

First, in order to help you should let us know what OS and browser you use. Also are you using any type of pop-up blocker in your browser?

7. N7BTZ

Thanks to all who have replied.

The problem is gone. I do not get popups aside from the one that occurred here twice. Random thing and I though it might be of interest to some.

I use mostly MS Edge instead of IE but do have Firefox and Chrome as well. OS is Win10 with latest updates on a good box with 32 gig ram, I7 6700K, GTX 1070, SSD etc..... Homebrew .. the other hobby.

Mbytes Premium is live and scans hourly (Premium version is best money spent IMO). Also have Cox McAfee doing daily scans and Windows defender set to periodic.

Pretty sure this one is solved ….

Thanks again and it's great to know you guys are here to help

8. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Having multiple anti-virus software running on the same computer can cause problems. If you don't have such software conflicts, its okay.