Is anyone else unsuccessful in selling on QRZ?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AF7FQ, Apr 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i loooove antiques road show (both of them!).

2. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i just had a bizarre flash- have an antiques road show-type affair at a large facility. not dayton.
    have everybody haul all their old junk (whoops, i mean fine quality vacuum tube-era gear) there for appraisal
    only

have a huge popcorn machine and chairs so everyone could watch the arguing over the perceived- versus- true
    value of that stuff.
    might even be a fight or three, too! and have an emt crew, with paddles, on standby for cases of thundering apoplexy.

a couple of times at 'fests i've heard guys saying they paid $XXX in 1955 for what is now a badly abused piece of gear
    and they have to get that now. won't take a cent less.
    they must come just to have someone to argue with. but that's a lot of weight-humping just to argue.
    and they go home angry because no-one wanted it at their price.

gun shows are like hamfests, too. what are known as barrel guns (any gun in the barrel for $XXX- and they are all severely
    abused and rusted). 'why, that there rifle was used in (select a war). a gen-u-wine collectible. GOTTA get $XXX for it'.

hamfest or gun show, i usually go for the chow. bbq with potato salad, and a diet pepsi sodawater. mmmmmm.
    i take a daypack to put small stuff and books in.

3. WN2SQC

WN2SQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Typically folks including hams have two price structures, one for buying, and one for selling.

4. AF7FQ

AF7FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I always search sold listings and typically set my prices at the lowest sold listing unless the lowes listing appears to be an outlier.

That's what I'm talking about. For example, if ten examples of an item recently sold on Ebay between $150-$225 and I list mine for $15, I'll get a bunch of offers for $100-125 just because nobody wants to pay asking price, even if it's as low as anything you'll find anywhere online. I get tired of the lowballers here so I bump the price to $165 to cover fees and list it BIN on ebay and it sells in 24 hours.

5. AF7FQ

AF7FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not talkin about old test gear worth $10 and me trying to sell it for $30. I'm not talking about gear that needs more in parts than it's listed for to make it work. I'm talking about current gear in excellent working condition that I'm offering at about 50% of what it can be had for new, and at the low end of what it can be found for used, and people are STILL trying to get me to lower the price. And to confirm that they are lowballing and playing ME for the sucker, I'm listing it elsewhere and getting my asking price nearly immediately.

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with all the ham websites is, buyers have to manually search for an item while eBay allows buyers to have search results automagically emailed. To wit, I decided to replace my olde antenna rotator controller with one of the kewl Green Heron RT21 controllers (link). However, I don't recall ever seeing one become available on the used market. Still, I created a search for one on eBay. About a YEAR later, I got a hit and jumped on it. Including shipping, I paid $200 LESS than the new price.

Having to manually search for something on any of the ham websites is WAY too tedious. However, I'm aware of two ham websites that have their classified section split up into several subsections.

7. W3ESE

W3ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

So very true....I just searched for a Hallicrafters SX-9 here on "Ham Radio Gear For Sale" ......I got 9 pages of what appears to be every post that had "SX" in it!

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Was I in there? (KP4SX)

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. N3ZP

N3ZP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had good success selling on QRZ. I have listed everything from coax and connectors to transceivers. I also list on Eham and occasionally QTH.com. Before I list an item I search the websites for what I'm selling and see what sold and for what prices. You have to be competitive in pricing and have a few good photos too. I use Ebay too but rarely for ham gear. As a buyer I see Ebay prices for some things get crazy and unrealistic. I stick with QRZ.

Phil N3ZP

10. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Competitive pricing and good photos won't do any good if nobody wants it.

Heck, I couldn't GIVE AWAY a heavy duty (and heavy) gsm battery removed from an uninterruptable power supply.

KP4SX likes this.