Is anyone else unsuccessful in selling on QRZ?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AF7FQ, Apr 15, 2018 at 8:22 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've bought and sold here successfully. One thing I noticed and it may not apply to your situation.

Sometimes hams buy a rig at the "new price". The street price goes down and on top of it the manufacturer offers a big rebate.

So while the sellers think they are selling at a fair price, they are unaware the same rig can be purchased new with free shipping and a warranty for their asking price.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a far wider audience on eBay. More competition between buyers whether it is a buy it now or an auction.
    They don't do their homework. All they know is what THEY paid for it (sometimes with tax) and what they feel they need to get for it, not wanting much of a loss.
    There are sometimes a few that will forgo it being brand new with warranty to get it for a few bucks less than a new one.

Some buyers don't do their homework either!!

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. K2WH

K2WH Happy Spring. Its About Time Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The issue I think is the way QRZ swapmeet is set up.

I believe most "Browsers" people browsers don't go beyond the first or second page to have a look at stuff.

The problem with that, is the amount of listings and when you put yours up there, in very short order, your listing could be and probably is a few pages down never to be seen.

Fair market value, is a non-starter. There is no fair value as far as I am concerned.

You no longer want or need an item, then sell if for the price you believe it will go.

Forget about making back the money you bought it for.

4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The one item I have sold here was gone in 1 hour.

Of course, I don't get too hung up about "what it's worth". If you saw an item similar to yours that sold for $10,000, well, that was one lucky seller. It was worth it to that one buyer, at one time, in one place. Or the last 3 buyers, or whatever. That does not mean that will happen the next time. It might, or it might not ever again.

You see this at flea markets, and not just ham radio. We call it the Antiques Roadshow effect.

WC5P likes this.
  5. AF7FQ

AF7FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

One example is the Yaesu FC-40 that I tried to sell here for nearly a month. I was asking $165. I got several ""I'll give you $150" offers but I was trying to pocket $150 after fees and shipping. I listed my best price. Finally, the last offer motivated me to list it on Ebay for $175 and it sold within 24 hours and net me exactly what I was looking for. The only difference is that whoever bought it paid more than if they had found it here. I listed an American Morse Porta Paddle yesterday, both here and on QTH and when I woke up this morning, I had tire kickers from this site and a no-haggle, "I'll take it!" from QTH. I have had the weather station and the dipole on here for a while so I just listed them yesterday on other sites. I suspect they'll be gone in a day or two.

K3EY likes this.
  6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

A few items I've put up for sale here have sold quickly. But I sell things for the price I'd pay, not what others want.
    I've been fairly fortunate to find many items at really low cost, much lower than any ebay or here. And when I sell I sell at those prices not the markup seen here.
    Example: I'm thinking of selling my TM 4000a dual band. New battery good working 25w radio. If I sell it I'll ask around $85. I'm just too lazy to post a pic and deal with hagglers at this time. Note: this isn't an ad.

7. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ebay has more viewers. QTH.com listing pages are easier to view.

You mentioned selling gold coins. There are several videos on youtube where a guy on the street tries to sell some one ounce gold coins (American Eagles and Canadian Maple Leaves). 3 to 4 nines pure.
    He could not sell them for even a couple hundred dollars. People had all sorts of reasons.. I can't be bothered.....I don't need them.....every stupid excuse. He even offered to go with them into a store right next to them that dealt in Gold and Silver to prove they were real and NO one would take them.
    I sure wish I had been on the street that day. I will take ALL you have!
    QRZ has a smaller viewership for their classifieds I think mainly due the listing format.

8. KS9Q

KS9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see this frequently and the seller could conceivably get asking or close to asking price. Maybe. I just won't be the guy offering to buy at those price points. As often as not, equipment priced that way tends not to attract much interest. Used equipment purchased sight unseen (0ther than maybe a couple of photos) carries a risk to the buyer that it a) may have undetected damage or malfunction, b) may have been deliberately misrepresented or c) has not been properly tested and neither the buyer nor the seller has a clue whether the thing actually functions. If I have to deal with any or all of these factors I'd be hard pressed to even offer "fair market value", whatever that is.

I think that if your listings on QRZ don't attract attention relatively soon after they are posted, they may get lost in the parade of newer listings. I tend to agree that trying to search or browse listings here can be a bit of a chore, although the ability to sort by status is nice. I don't want to paddle through a bunch of "sold" listings to find the available units in which I might be interested.

Jim K. - KS9Q

9. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

As others have stated in their posts, what you consider fair is not considered fair by others. IMO most people now days, regardless of whether they are buying or selling, are looking for a sucker. The seller always wants more than the thing is worth and the buyer always wants the item for less than the thing is worth. If a deal is to be struck then buyer and seller must haggle it out. This is how the real fair price is determined.

When you did your research on price point you indicated that you used several web sites to make the determination. Did you use their 'asking price' as the basis of your price or did you use 'sold' or completed listings information? If you are trying to determine what you can get for an item look at what the item has been selling for. You can try ebay's completed listings but not sure that will give you accurate information due to the fact that people on ebay get into bidding wars and drive the prices up.

I have always found that people try to play me as a sucker. If I am selling something people will say "oh, that's too much because it has a dent here or scratch there etc. and isn't worth your asking price." But, if I am buying something it's always worth more than what those same people are willing to pay when I'm selling it.

If I was selling a TS-520 and my asking price was $300 I would get all kinds of people who would be willing to 'offer me' $250 for it (looking for that sucker). Those same people, if they were selling that same TS-520, would be asking $400 for it (looking for a sucker).

KG5THG likes this.
  10. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are using ebay as your comparative that is your problem. Heck even here there are things that are worth at a hamfest 5-10 bucks and people are paying anywhere from 30 bucks on up to you name it and you have to add shipping on after that. Hey if someone is willing to pay fine but don't begrudge people not wanting to pay 60-100 bucks for an old piece of test gear that will need more in parts than it's being listed for to make it even work. Like he old saying goes there is one born every minutes.