Is Ameritron currently in Production?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB2BGI, Sep 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2BGI

WB2BGI Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess maybe I should forget being able to get an amplifier anytime soon unless I want to pay big bucks for a high end unit, and even then some of them are out of stock.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Which begs the question what do you have for antennas??
    That is where the biggest performance increases are. It doesn't matter who can hear you if you can't hear them.

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If possible. For many, it's much easier to gain an S unit with an amp than it is with an antenna. At 67 and living where I live my tower days are over. ;)

KU4X, KA4DPO and WD4IGX like this.
  4. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not a problem if I only work people with amps or beams.

KU4X likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I just read your QRZ page.... very nice story :)

Dave
    W7UUU

6. W4NNF

Thanks, Dave. And I did have my BIG TOWER days back in the 80s...oh and a Henry amp too. :)

7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fixed that for you.

:D

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what I actually wrote, although phrased awkwardly. I wrote:

"I also buy MFJ or Ameritron stuff only from dealers who have them in stock, and wouldn't buy anything directly from "the factory," simply to save $$ and even more so if I can buy at the local HRO and go there to pick it up myself -- and open the carton to check it out before leaving the store.

The "simply to save money" applied to buying from dealers: That's why there's a comma between "factory" and "simply." The "simply to save $$" applied to the initial statement..."only from dealers."

K4TTJ likes this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have found that the factory prices, and dealer prices of MFJ stuff are pretty much the same. It does seem like the price has gone up significantly on Ameritron amplifiers over the last year or so. If I was looking to buy one, I would probably look for a used amp at this point.

10. W4NNF

Depends on the product, but right now the AL811H is 100 bucks cheaper from HRO than direct from Ameritron/MFJ. Still a good value for a 600 watt (being realistic) amp.

Amplifiers are one item I stay away from used unless I know the op selling it. Too many abuse amps either knowingly or unknowingly. ;)

KA4DPO likes this.