Is Ameritron currently in Production?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB2BGI, Sep 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2BGI

WB2BGI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been looking into the possibility of purchasing a 160-15 Amplifier, more specifically an AL-811H. I am thinking that Ameritron was probably shut down because of the pandemic. One retailer has stated that they are not taking orders because of unpredictable lead time, another is listing shipping dates from any where from 5 to 10 weeks depending upon which model one would like to have, and they have postponed these shipping dates one time that I am aware of and possibly more times. Two other suppliers are mum about shipping dates unless you give them an order, very dishonest. My question is: Is Ameritron current producing?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Have you considered calling them?

https://mfjenterprises.com/pages/contact-us

Ameritron:
    Phone#: 1-662-323-8211
    Mailing: 116 Willow Rd, Starkville, MS 39759

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X, W4HWD, WA9SVD and 4 others like this.
  3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ameritron was bought by MFJ sometime around 1995. MFJ (as many other manufacturers) has had a significant slowdown in their operations due to the pandemic.

If you are wanting to buy an Ameritron amp (or any other MFJ product for that matter) you are much better off going through a retail distributor than buying directly from them - there are thread here on da Zed to attest to that. Pick a reputable distributor and stick with them - you will have far fewer headaches.

And +1 for Dave's advice above.

Regards,
    -Bruce

WA8FOZ, KA0HCP and WZ7U like this.
  4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anytime you have a question about or a problem with something from one of the MFJ brands, always call them. The folks in Starkville answer the phone and are very helpful.

K6CID, K0UO, N4BC and 3 others like this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd check with a specific retailer to see if they have the desired amp IN STOCK. In addition to (usually) quick shipment, they will often sell a unit at a discount over the "factory" price, and a reputable retailer will have good customer service. (At least, in MY experience; YMMV.)
    Whatever the reason for a slowdown, Ameritron most likely will NOT go away, and once supplies are again established on a regular basis, will still be producing amps for the foreseeable future.

WA8FOZ likes this.
  6. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeepers, that would mean getting accurate information directly from the source. That's no way to keep a thread going. :rolleyes:

K0DOM, KA0USE, WG7X and 2 others like this.
  7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not have any qualms with buying an ameritron product. I do question buying a 811 amp. Tube availability has been questionable. Al 80 b is solid

W4HM likes this.
  8. WB2BGI

WB2BGI Ham Member QRZ Page

I did consider calling them, but probably be get put on hold, with an automated system telling my wait time is long and then I would probably get the run around anyway. I was hoping someone would have had recent experience, or first hand knowledge of their scheduling, parts shortages, and anything else that would cause delays.

9. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anytime I've called them, a human answers the phone and transfers you to a human who helps.

If you want to decide what will happen before you call, well, I guess that's your choice.

WA9SVD and KK9W like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^This could easily be the problem.

Can't ship amps using 811As or 572Bs if there aren't any tubes available, and this seems to be an issue lately.

I also buy MFJ or Ameritron stuff only from dealers who have them in stock, and wouldn't buy anything directly from "the factory," simply to save $$ and even more so if I can buy at the local HRO and go there to pick it up myself -- and open the carton to check it out before leaving the store.:)

An AL-1500 uses an 8877 and I know for sure those are very available and manufactured by multiple sources. It's bigger and heavier, though. And more money.:p