ad: k1jek

Is Alpha Amps still in business?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by DJ0QN, Apr 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wondered about that also. RS-232 to USB adapters (which are active and have a chip inside) cost about $9 and work fine.

I've used them for years. Never had a problem with one.

Amazon.com: USB to Serial Adapter, Benfei USB to RS-232 Male (9-pin) DB9 Serial Cable, Prolific Chipset, Windows 10/8.1/8/7, Mac OS X 10.6 and Above, 1.5M : Electronics

2. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The remote site is 500 ft from the house my official "shack" is 1300 ft from the proposed site so the connection is going to be either 5Ghz or fiber. More than likely its going to be fiber since I am getting rid of cables. Wifi is slow and with 2 channel fiber I should not notice the latency over the link. Nothing plays reliably with rs232 unless it running DOS 6.2. It needs to be ethernet so every thing can play together without tinkering around. I fought with RS-232 issues many years ago with machinery in environments that are not nearly as hostile as RF floating around and it was problematic. Besides, I am not going to spend money on anything new that is a throw back from 20+ years ago. Times have changed, one recent example I bought Deb a new laptop and went to connect it to the network and was shocked and embarrassed it did not have an RJ45 jack. It is wifi only...

Now that would be very cool. I would be interested in that model for the shack since the 8410 deal has melted down.

If you are within arms reach its not much of an issue, this will be in a dog house. More than likely will require some heat in the winter time.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  3. VA3DXV

VA3DXV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can do RS232 over RF (433 or 900MHz are common, other freqs available depending on brand) with some cheap boards, maybe need a small fixed yagi at each end... alternately with a USB to Serial adapter on a Raspberry Pi at the remote end, over ethernet/WiFi.

4. WB2WIK

Why would the link bandwidth or latency be an issue?

Isn't that just a "control line," where if it took even a second, which is an eternity in electronics, it wouldn't matter?

I have a second.:)

5. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Years ago the Icom 7300 and Icom remote software were set up at the farm so I could operate from our place in town. The latency over the internet was terrible, only made a couple of contacts then pulled the plug. Seem to recall that it did not allow CW, might be wrong on that.

You call a DX station and your transmission is stepping on the current contact without you knowing it due to the latency. Time delay is way to great for any type of operating that requires split second timing decisions. If you are just checking into a net it might not be too big of an issue.

If you have satellite internet and use WiFi calling the latency on your phone is even worse and it becomes annoying extremely fast.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  6. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

(Grumpy old man voice)
    In my day, we didn't have no "latency". What we heard in the soup cans with string between 'em was real time. That's the way is was, and we liked it!o_O

WF9Q and UT7UX like this.
  8. WB2WIK

Oh, I thought you were referring to the control line that operates only the amplifier (in/out, bandswitching, etc) and you'd be in your own shack within a thousand feet of it.

Yes, latency via the internet varies by provider and distance and can be pretty awful.

As the providers all post: "The farther the distance is between the user and the server hosting the website, the greater the latency. The delay also depends on the networking efficiency and the quality of the routing devices."

9. VA3DXV

VA3DXV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, that's VoIP, running on (what I presume is) a rural internet connection. Completely different beast from simple RS232 control commands over a LAN (or direct RF link)... with teensy tiny leetle packets.

10. WB2WIK

^Correct.

Command and control logic is miniscule data packets and latency doesn't matter. Even if you're launching a missile, an extra 500 mS still won't matter.

Very different from using the internet for communications that requires actual bandwidth.