Is Alpha Amps still in business?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by DJ0QN, Apr 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its hard to say what is going on with them, only thing certain is I am very disappointed...

I have read some of the negative posts on here about them but that is typical of online bullies doing a social shame campaign to get free stuff and not a deciding factor in the decision process.

Getting the door slammed in my face is..

2. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Alpha 8410 is (was) a real solid workhorse of an amp. A hardcore contesting friend has had one for well over 10 years with nary a hiccup and the original 4CX1000A tubes at legal limit. Takes a real beating with multi-ops operating it. Whatever Alpha's current owner is doing doesn't make sense to me. After all these years of stringing folks along, it's time to s**t or get off the pot. But, it's his money (or lack of it), so strictly his choice to operate the way he wants. Fortunately, there's other quality amp manufacturers to take your business.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly.

I'd think after so much time. they've lost their following and if they returned to full-speed today, not many would buy anything from them.

They did make some excellent amplifiers for 30+ years but their downfall led to other tube-type amp manufacturers ramping up and taking over.

4. WF9Q

Dentron hit the dirt many years ago, I ran the MLA-2500 for many years it was solid. Only issue I had to deal with was replace the capacitors and that is most certainly not Dentron's fault for that. The acom's look good in the pictures but....

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Denny (who founded and owned Dentron) is still very active, now in North Carolina as W4USR.

I've worked him on 40CW pretty recently.

Denny also founded Amp Supply and the old, original Ameritron. When he moved from OH to NC, he took Amp Supply with him and started Cary Audio Design, a high-end audiophile gear company and closed Amp Supply. Cary Audio still manufactures vacuum tube stereo amplifiers AFAIK...one of the few companies in the world to do this.

WF9Q likes this.
  6. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

But what.....:rolleyes:??

7. WF9Q

For one, their solid state amp is a vintage design since it has RS232. Did notice an ethernet adapter for the no tune amps on their site. Did not find it on dxengineering site.

Major plus with Acom is the fact it uses Tetrodes instead of Triodes that is a big issue.

Looked the official acom site over for duty cycle of the 1200 SS amp and could not find it. It does have thermal protection AND duty cycle with a SS amp is hard to state as a fixed ratio. If everyone had an "ideal" supply voltage source (zero sag) and on the same voltage it would be not so hard to determine.

Pretty much scraped the idea of running the remote site, the amplifiers that are available are not going to make me happy.

Maybe in the future Kenwood and/or Icom will make an HF radio with a detachable head that will connect with ethernet and/or web browser access. Not really impressed with Flex or the other one.

Something like the 7300 with a removable control head and ethernet connecting head to the body would be nice. Hopefully in the future the SS amps will be more in line with my needs. If Acom made a divider/combiner for 2 of their SS amps that would be nice. They have a 3 amp combiner but that is way too much power. 2 of the acom 700 SS amps with combiner would be a good setup, almost legal limit and redundant with at least 700 watts. However, any thing with RS232 is off the table.

8. WF9Q

The audio folks are not cheap like hams....Bigger market and deeper pockets. His stuff looks VERY nice.

9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It is! :p

10. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I own the Acom 1200S. In the specs...."Rated Output Power: 1,000W +/- 0.5dB PEP or Continuous Carrier (1,200W typically)". I confirmed with Val at Acom regarding the "Continuous", and he said it's OK at 1KW, but watch the temperature reading. So, like most SS amps, it's not "key down forever". I've run RTTY contests at 950-975W without a problem. But extended CQ repeating will eventually drive the temperature up, and I give it a minute or so rest. It cools off quickly with the higher fan speeds.

The 1200S is a 3-1/2 year old design. Why is the RS-232 remote port a killer if you scrapped the idea of running a remote site? But FYI, Acom is coming out (supposedly this Fall) with the A2020. A legal limit SS amp, styled after the A2000 with a remote control head.

I've also owned the Acoms 1000 and 1500. I had a small issue with the 1000, can't remember what it was. After 4 years, the 1500 had a shorted 4CX1000A.

Bob K7JQ

WF9Q likes this.