Is Alpha Amps still in business?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by DJ0QN, Apr 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1. Denial and Isolation
    When we lose something as important to us as an amplifier, it is natural to reject the idea that it could be true. In turn, we may isolate ourselves to avoid reminders of the truth.
    2. Anger
    When it is no longer possible to live in denial, it is common to become frustrated and angry. We might feel like something extremely unfair has happened to us and wonder what we did to deserve not having the amplifier we really wanted.
    3. Bargaining
    In this stage, we might somehow seek to change the circumstances of the situation causing their grief; for example, believing the amplifier manufacturer might rise like the mythological Phoenix.
    4. Depression
    In this stage, we feel the full weight of our sadness over the loss of our amplifier supplier.
    5. Acceptance
    Eventually, the grieving person may come to terms with their loss. "Well, it was a good amplifier while it lasted, and now that no spare parts are available I can turn it into a coffee table."

N3RYB and N3AWS like this.
  2. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like what I went through when Tokyo Hy-Power went out of business. Wonderful amp, super quality, no problems in 7 years of ownership. At Stage #5, I sold it before something fails, parts might become unavailable, and it becomes an expensive paperweight.

K0UO and N3AWS like this.
  3. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

But most of those were the same guy....

K2XT likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

JRC is still around (not to be confused with THP who isn't) but they vacated the amateur radio market years ago and won't service the thousands of Japan Radio Company products out there. Pretty big company, but no more ham gear. Some of their stuff was very good.

I guess buying anything there's always a chance the company won't be there to support it when you need it.

5. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

With the way things are going on the bands these days...FT8/FT4, etc probably about 75% of operating...you're gonna see manufacturers cutting down on product lineups, coming out with specific xcvrs only covering the digital band segments, no mic connector nor key jack, no speaker nor headphone jacks, and built-in sound cards:eek:.

K0UO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

Future: The rig will just make the contacts, fill in the log, upload them to LoTW and welcome you home with "You should see what I worked while you were away."

K0UO likes this.
  7. AC9YY

AC9YY Ham Member QRZ Page

You will be able to monitor and control those contacts via your cell phone while at work.

8. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I turned on the radio to 20M yesterday, looking for some "legacy" QSO's. Two signals on CW, three signals on SSB, and literally hundreds jammed on the FT8 segment. Strengths well above the noise floor. Same thing on 17M, with nothing on CW or SSB. I have WSJT-X on my computer. To each his/her own, but after 10-15 minutes on FT8, I'm done...a computer talking to a computer. Scary to think where things seem to be headed.

AE0Q and K0UO like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still one of the two three QSOs you saw on CW or SSB .... .. HI

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

AE0Q and KD2ACO like this.
  10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran a small business for 10 years. It's tough. I don't blame Mike for being a little put off by the constant, "is alpha still in business...is tentec still in businesss" and not performing repairs while working to move and get manufacturing on track.
    I'm a registered nurse now. Not much money, but it's much easier and just as much fun as business.

I recently needed a synthesizer(fracN) board for a TenTec Eagle. Also the harmonic managed to slice lettering off some Eagle buttons with her little nails. Board and buttons were in stock, shipped promptly, and priced reasonably. Parts to repair the old synth board will cost me about $25-$35 with shipping. I'm not set up for the small size surface mount on that board, otherwise I'd have fixed it myself.

DJ0QN reports results in post #5.

73, -Bob