Is Alpha Amps still in business?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by DJ0QN, Apr 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IF you need Alpha repairs, this is the guy

Brad Focken (KØHM) and his company is KØHM Electronics, 719-629-7045 He worked at Alpha for 17+ years and was one of the designers of the 9500 and the 8410. He has tens of thousands of hours on the repair of all Alpha amplifiers. And he has parts and new firmware as well as alignments and updates as required.
    He has worked on a number of my friends amps the past year or two.

https://www.k0hm.net/

KØHM Electronics
    354 Jewel St
    Colorado Springs, Colorado 80910

N3AWS and KD2ACO like this.
  2. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone who is building a factory to build vacuum tube amplifiers these days should have his.........
    oh never mind.

W4HWD and W2VW like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A company called "Shark" builds millions of vacuum tubes. Or, that's tubes that attach to vacuums. I have several of those, they plug in and attach with a little snap.:)

4. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Going through my memory bank of the past year or two thinking of who I know bought new amplifiers -
    1 Alpha 8410
    2 Palstar SS amps
    5 KPA1500
    1 Flex PGXL
    1 AL811
    1 Acom 1000
    3 Mercury III

Score 11-3

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That doesn't help Mitch help his friend. I just looked at the website, (again), and no change since 2017, other that the COVID message on the store page from a year ago.

Has anyone seen any advertisements for Alpha amplifiers? I know I haven't, not anywhere, as near as I can tell, they are done even though they keep saying they are not done.

I don't understand why they don't just own up on the website, level with the public, that they are not building anything, and probably won't until the death star technology is perfected. Maybe they should just post a single page like, Hi, we're Alpha. Check back with us this time each year to see if there are any changes.:rolleyes:

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

That could describe a number of DoD contractors; “Shell” companies;
    and “parked” Brand-names/ trademarks.
    ==
    As far as Mitch’s friend issue, Alpha Amp Boards stuck in Colorado,
    either deal with a Local to “Pound on Door” of Premises (like Brad Focken, K0HM) OR
    File Legal paperwork.

=
    When CrossLink folded, and Dick Einhorn stepped in to save the Amateur Radio amplifier segment (November 2005) … I happen to “Walk into the building” at Boulder (my first vacation since the Sept. 11 events) on the first day of the “new company”. Crosslink was other half of building, under bankruptcy.
    Molly Hardman, WØMOM and the staff were inside !
    I picked up specific Alpha 76A parts (new Alpha 76A front panel without sticky paint, etc.) — I needed for that restoration/repair.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    KA4DPO likes this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Im lucky, my 76PA at the second station never had that problem AFIK and Ive had it ~ 25 years.

Carl

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they are all done and the owner is too proud to admit defeat.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing an infusion of large bucketloads of cash wouldn't fix.

There are still Alpha fans out there who would buy the amps if they were readily available and they knew spare parts, tech support and service were also available.

I wish I still had my 78 (even though it used tubes that today are nearly vaporware). It worked perfectly for many years, nary a problem of any kind.

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone needs to humanely put it out of its misery so the ham community can move through the 5 stages.

N3AWS and KA4DPO like this.