Is Alpha Amps still in business?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by DJ0QN, Apr 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It does, and we all remember most "startups" make no money, and actually lose money, for years before they reach break-even and then longer before they reach profit.

Can take a lot of capital.

Some of our biggest, most profitable enterprises in America were still losing truckloads of money when they went public. They raised money and some became superstars. Others (the majority) won't be remembered because they were just meteorites and burned through it all before they crashed.:p

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So it looks like they took down the temporarily closed sign. after I posted it. Good show Alpha, keep that website updated.

3. WB2WIK

Last "news" updates are from just over four years ago (early 2017).

Nothing appears in the "store."

Last "store" update is from September 2020, almost eight months ago.

Stick a fork in them.:p

W1QJ and KA4DPO like this.
  4. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Covid has changed everything! Look at the car lots , there are no new cars. A $2 chip is stopping the supply. this is with all electronics

N3AWS likes this.
  5. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Building a Death Star is hard.
    Some of the materials and techniques haven't even been invented yet.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

Maybe.

I asked my local Honda dealer on Saturday about his "new car" inventory (since their lots are absolutely full) and they have 253 new (2021) Hondas in inventory ready to go: https://www.whhonda.com/inventory/new/

Hondas for sale in the U.S. are almost all manufactured in the U.S.

"Supply chain management" plays a big role.

N3RYB likes this.
  7. W0ARM

W0ARM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had sent email to Alpha back in May (2021).

Please read below, what I sent, and the reply I received... (copied and pasted from my email).
    (BTW, I did not buy the Alpha 9500)
    Also, Mr. Dishop's QRZ page has not been updated in over 5 years. Just an observation...

Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 3:10 PM
    To: sales@alpharfsystems.com
    Subject: Used Alpha 9500 Purchase

Hello,

I recently was afforded the opportunity to purchase an Alpha 9500 amp. Although I have not yet seen it "in person", it appears to be in excellent shape and fully functional. I am currently debating whether or not to buy...

My question is: Is Alpha Amplifier back in business yet? If I do acquire this amp, will the "factory" be able to provide service for it if necessary? Are you (or will you be) still producing new units?

The last status indicated on your website was as of September, 2020... over 8-months ago. Many of the comments I read online are saying that Alpha is pretty much a done-deal, as in out of business (for all intents and purposes). I hope not!

Thanks for your time. I hope you will be continuing in business, and wish y'all the best.

~Alan
    W0ARM

Steven M. Dishop <Steven.Dishop@dishtronix.com>

Wed, May 26, 2:23 PM

To: me

Alan,

Ignore what you read on line. Anyone saying that is a dumbass who doesn’t know what is going on.

I just put in a new 50 grand esd tile floor at the new alpha factory in Ohio which is close to a million dollar building. When it is done, moved and open we will build and service amplifiers. We are slated to start shipping end of August and people are placing orders. Dishtronix already has a multiple SMT placement lines and we are spending several hundred thousand to implement a sheet metal line to build it all in house under one roof. Does that sound like out of business to you, or is it getting our ducks in a line to do serious business, more serious then ever before in Alpha’s history? Before me they farmed everything out.

Unfortunately until I’m up and running I can’t support the used market. I’ve done it out of goodwill for 3.5 years until COVID hit and people deserted. Now it has to move to Ohio and that takes time.

Mike N8WFF
    614 675 XXXX

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    AH7I and N0TZU like this.
  8. W0ARM

W0ARM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The chinese virus (aka, "Covid") really has little to do with the current chip manufacturing (or lack thereof) issue. A fire at at the "only" plant that manufactures these chips (apparently) has caused the world-wide shortage.

Multiple news outlets ran the story back in March, 2021 (https://www.usnews.com/news/technol...esas-chip-factory-bigger-than-expected-nikkei). Although this particular story indicates "a month" to restore operations, I had also read elsewhere, that it could take MANY months, if not a year or more, to get the production back on-line.

A simple google search "Japanese chip plant fire" will give a lot of info.

~Alan
    W0ARM

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  9. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Short answer to your question is, "no."

10. WB2WIK

I agree.

It is "no."

K0UO likes this.