ad: Momobeam-1

Is Alpha Amps still in business?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by DJ0QN, Apr 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
  1. DJ0QN

DJ0QN QRZ Lifetime Member #99 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A friend of mine in Germany sent boards to Alpha in Colorado for repair in February 2020, but never received anything beyond a mail confirming receipt.

I was asked to call from here in Florida to find out what the status of the 1+ year repair is. The number listed on their web site goes to voice mail, but you can't leave a message, because voice mail is full.

Does anyone know the status of Alpha?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Good luck" to your friend.

Alpha-RF has been acquired back in 2017 and the new owner has been moving it, or trying to move it, from Colorado to Ohio for quite a while.

I suspect the "staff" is one or two people, although I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Not the old Alpha when Dick Ehrhorn founded and ran it. They were terrific back then. But that was also >45 years ago.:p

3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike Dishop, N8WFF
    President
    Ten Tec / Dishtronix / Alpha RF Systems

5. DJ0QN

DJ0QN QRZ Lifetime Member #99 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We received a mail directly from Glenn at Alpha, so we closed the loop on this subject.

The boards that have been waiting for over a year will be looked at soon. Thanks to everyone for their support.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

6. WB2WIK

More than one year to "look at" a return isn't being "in business.":p

N3RYB, K6EFA, N4WLL and 4 others like this.
  7. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And here's the latest pronunciamento:
    https://www.alpharfsystems.com/?page_id=1519&model_number=A9500
    I particularly like this encouraging and heart warming message towards the bottom of their page, "We are making some changes to how we handle on line orders and should resume the store later in the year. If you do manage to place an online order it will be fulfilled whenever we are able to do so. Be prepared to wait as long as it takes."
    As WIK indicated above, it doesn't "look like" they're in business. Then they ask you not to file a dispute with your credit card company because it costs them $25 each time. And I thought KL2A was the master of the art of Chutzpah.

KA4DPO and KH6AQ like this.
  8. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That leaves me out. At my age, I don't even buy green bananas.

AC0OB, KK9W, KI4MYD and 5 others like this.
  9. WB2WIK

Great comment.

Undercapitalized enterprise, no new influx of $$ which is badly needed for survival.

This is pretty common with American businesses.

I see Intel just committed to spending $2 Billion to bring back some new manufacturing to the U.S. Great! The Taiwanese (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing) countered immediately with a $10 Billion investment to do it there.

The Chinese play the "long game" well.:p

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The last thing I read from Alpha was an addendum to the Store page, https://www.alpharfsystems.com/?page_id=1800

It says they are closed due to COVID-19 and there are no further updates. I think Steve hit the nail on the head regarding capitalization, and the fact that it take a lot of money to produce products. At any rate, the COVID excuse will no longer hold water so in all fairness, the owners should update their website to reflect their current status.

K6EFA and AJ4GQ like this.