ad: k1jek

Is 7O6T operation legitimate?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by 4X1UN, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W4ALS

W4ALS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the ARRL needs to have a clear and objective policy. At one time countries at war were justifiably concerned about spies using the radio spectrum to pass intelligence, but there are far more practical means today. Nonetheless, having a policy that disqualifies a station or a country from being a qualified contact if a segment of the ham community is intentionally disfavored is rational. DXCC Honor Roll means nothing if only Swiss hams can obtain elusive QSLs.

The ARRL doesn't have to examine the motivation behind the disparate treatment--it only has to acknowledge that it has occurred, and recognize that having a level playing field where success depends on skill and effectiveness rather than your prefix is paramount.

And the next time I'm in Oregon I plan on having a full and frank exchange of views with k2ncc.

3. SM0O

SM0O Ham Member QRZ Page

Question; is US nets and US national limitations in frequency use to be considered LAW for the rest of the world ?

Should all other Ham's globally first check every US ham club's homepage for info before embarking on any DXpedition
    or starting any QSO what so ever ? Maybe, just maybe, the requests to move off your net's QRG was not heard in Yemen
    by the DXpedition? The conditions the last 3 days has been terrible for any contacts from my QTH to the US on all bands,
    maybe this has been the case from other parts of the world as well ?

USA is not almighty in this or any other case, and should show the same courtesy as everybody else on the air and towards
    fellow hams world wide as they want to receive!

Best 73 de Christian SM0O

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's all well and good, but your government may take exception to that. As Amateurs, we have agreed to abide by the rules and regulations of our FCC, your OFCOM, etc. To do otherwise jeopardizes our Amateur license. At least here in the U.S. we do not have the option of following only the FCC rules with which we agree, and ignoring the rules with which we disagree. Society in general requires citizens to obey at least a minimum of rules, or we cease to be a society. YMMV.l

5. WA9SVD

Then you are actually injecting politics into Amateur Radio. If a "Dxpedition" travels to a country, is that any different than if that country has it's own operators? The DXpedition MUST obey the same rules as the indigent operators.

By your logic, you are saying that the ARRL would have to "blacklist" entirely certain countries from their list. What could be more political IN Amateur Radio than that?

6. G0RWW

G0RWW Ham Member QRZ Page

TELL 7O6T Their operation is not acceptable for DXCC awards..

If these operators wish to make rules about who is or is not a suitable contact, then they should understand that they cannot be considered as a legitimate DXCC entity. and those making contact with them do so without gaining any credit. HOWEVER; their licencing authority should be aproached by IARU on the matter of excluding any callsign group or nation on grounds of institutional racism and international law..

7. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

You are confusing ham radio with the real world.

8. K2NCC

9. VE4CY

VE4CY Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, The International Amateur Radio Union does allow one country to deny communications with another if it objects to such communications. I don't agree with it, but such is life.... See Section 23.1

http://www.iaru.org/rel030703att2.html

10. K2NCC

I would speculate that the world of hams would have rather heard Yemen than another net anyway OM.

11. K2NCC

Wow. Fastest race-card I've ever seen pulled.

Just because I don't care for your (not you, per say) politics, religion, or the funny hat you wear, it doesn't mean I hate your race. Hell, get in line. I hate everyone's politics and religion. (although hard to separate now-a-days)

12. PG0S

PG0S Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

Try for 3 day's now, to working with 400 watts, 7O6T....
    Get no any replay...;-((((

73' pg9hf ( ex PH0HM)

13. WA9SVD

The operators did NOT "MAKE the rules." They are following the rules of the country that issued their license. If they violate those rules, they risk losing their privileges before the DXpedition is completed, and possibly other sanctions.

It's certainly a sad situation, but political disagreements between ideologies and political adversaries have been a matter of fact since time immemorial. It's unfortunate that such disagreements have affected Amateur Radio. But as previously stated, the IARU (and the FCC in the U.S.) have provisions to allow sovereign states to prohibit their Amateurs from contacting Amateurs in specified other states or countries.

14. K0SAV

K0SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

If the shoe fits... wear it.

15. K2NCC

Cool. You can start with the definition of "squatting".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.