ad: M2Ant-1

Is 7O6T operation legitimate?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by 4X1UN, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 4X1UN

4X1UN Ham Member QRZ Page

As these lines are being written HF Radio Amateurs worldwide are going berserk trying to work the 7O6T operation from an Island off the shores of Yemen.

Apparently, the 7O6T team has received strict orders not to work 4X/4Z stations from Israel.

Now, when I studied for my amateur radio license I learnt you mustn't mix politics and ham radio.
    I was under the impression that in this hobby we are leaving politics aside and striving for a world of harmony and peace amongst us Amateurs.
    When I operated special event stations as well as DX-peditions in the past, I never, but never, ignored anyone calling me.
    Not knowingly, I attempted to call the 7O6T stations only for them to snub me time and time again or pretend they copied a station from Luxemburg LX1UN thinking they are doing me a favor so I can get a QSL card later on.

Let me tell you this, my country has its share of problems, but Israeli Radio Amateurs have been respectable members of IARU and the global amateur community since the establishment of our state back in 1948. We have assisted countries in need during earthquakes and other natural disasters (including Muslim countries) and have never discriminated anyone - At least not in the past 20 years or so.

Hence, I think the ARRL should take a stand once and for all on these issues and approve DX operations which enable the entire global amateur community to contact them. Otherwise, all this DX chasing is nothing but Politics - and I for one, don't want to be a politician.

2. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who gave them these orders? This is shameful!

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't say I blame them.

4. AH6OY

AH6OY Ham Member QRZ Page

A problem of a government making rules and policies (governing man). N. Korea doesn't allow any ham radio. I'd like to DXpedition to there but it seems the USA and N. Korea disagree with that idea of ham radio or even going there. Old ladies in government it seems. Well at least on the USA side :)

5. K2NCC

You could give me 20 5x9 N. Korea and I'd refuse it.

ARRL has little to do with politics of foreign countries, so bitching to them is about useless.

In spite of "ham spirit", I'm still an American and believe that the atrocities of some Countries, even if not it's citizens, warrants the disdain from the whole world.

I'd rather not have that log entry than to support ANYTHING some evil regime has to offer.

Besides, you assume a LOT with your statements Mr. Cohen. It could be an innocent mistake. RF plays tricks on us all.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a difference between politics IN Amateur Radio, such as over the air discussions, and Amateurs having to follow the policies set by their respective government. Even in the U.S., if a foreign government informs our State Department that do not wish our Amateurs to communicate with their Amateurs, the FCC has a responsibility to rule that our Amateurs must not communicate with Amateurs in the other country. (I believe such was the case of the U.S. and North Vietnam many years ago.)
    As reprehensible as it may seem, it's the governments of individual countries that are playing politics, and not the Amateurs themselves. As Amateurs, we have to follow the rules, whether we like it or not.

7. K2NCC

Smartest post I've seen in a while. This should put an end to the discussion.

8. GI4SZW

GI4SZW Ham Member QRZ Page

unless I am incorrect, I have checked their log and you are in it for 30m and 160m phone ,,,,, what is this all about???????
    perhaps the admins should remove this post,,,,, Seamus

9. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm rather disappointed to hear that also but we can't hold the team responsible for that you can bet on. Due to the sensitive nature and the time to arrange the DXpedition I'm certain that the local goverment is to blame for it.

I have gave this operation a lot of thought mostly from a security standpoint and some of my background. For their safety an Island was the only choice for security and a good one for radio operation. Security had to be provided as all of you must be aware of we all know what would happen. This security would about have to come from Yemen Military forces instead of American or private I would be almost positive about this. An Island can be defended and secured much easier than anything on the mainland because a boat is the only way to get there. The pirates have many of them but all are small and can't carry many people making it much easier to take care of smaller numbers at at time.

All of this boils down to having to go along with what the Government wants them to do on this Rare Activation and to our brothers in Israel it's not right and I don't agree but we don't have a choice. Yes I will try to work it as I know I will never get another chance in my life but will think of the ones who were discriminated against on this one.

10. PB2JJ

PB2JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe i missed something but where is the proof or where can u read about the fact they arent allowed to work 4x/4z amateurradio stations ?

Jasper

11. K8YZK

K8YZK Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember that individual government's set their own rules on operations. So Yemen decided not to allow this operation to work 4X/4Z for whatever illogical reason, but putting it on QRZ I don't think will change their rules.
    So is it right, my opinion no.

12. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Couldn't agree more! A terrible state of affairs that is not at all in the spirit of amateur radio.

I think anyone would have to accept that, sometimes, you do have in mind the political background to a nation you are contacting; that is only natural. But the political background of any nation, or tensions between nations, cannot be pinned on any one individual, much less so amateur radio operators who invariably approach the world in a peaceful manner.

So that's why, for example, against a backdrop of current, silly political tensions between the UK and Argentina, the only thing we as amateurs in those respective nations are interested in is to keep on talking as much as possible and to foster peace between nations. My best and most friendly contact on 15m this week so far was with Argentina, and much I am proud of it.

Nothing other than destruction is ever achieved by not talking, and if this stuff is correct, then those responsible for bringing it about should take their lessons from history and promote only unfettered access to and from all nations of the world. If governments have nothing better to do than use radio as a political tool, they have their own, state apparatus to do it with. Don't drag amateurs into the same rubbish!

13. SV1QFF

SV1QFF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you are incorrect. The white blank means that 30m and 160m are not valid.
    SV1QFf, Michael

14. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

" we have to follow the rules whether we like it or not " who says??
    I follow nobody's rules but my own..period.

15. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Postscript to my last ; RF does NOT respect international bounderies , nor their pimping governments ( including our's )nwho support them....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.