ad: TinyPaddle-1

Irwin G "Bud" Mitze - K7BUD

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W7UUU, Mar 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I'm so very sad to report the loss of a good friend to many of us at The Radio Club of Tacoma, Irwin George "Bud" Mitze, K7BUD.

Bud was always a delight in our clubhouse, always with a happy smiling greeting and wonderful words for all. Bud was one of the most uplifting and happy folks I've known, ham operator or not. Just a friend to everyone who met him and knew him.

He died very suddenly Saturday night, not long after a long chat with some of our club locals who were all close friends with him. Cut down in the prime of his life, as they say.

He shared my passion for Heathkit, with his rather rare SS-9000 in pristine operating condition, and was a regular on the air whether on HF or our local W7DK repeater.

I'll never forget watching him work a bunny hunt last May from the driver's side of his Corvette C5, pointing the antenna out the window to "pick up all the easy parking lot bunnies".... he had everyone in stitches. Last night, at our W7DK board meeting, club Secretary Mike Finnie W7MWF proposed naming our annual Bunny Hunt the "K7BUD Memorial Bunny Hunt" and it was agreed upon unanimously.

He was one of the happiest funnest guys I've known, a true friend - to anyone. He sincerely loved people. And just at my house picking up some Corvette stuff I no longer needed - I feel like I can still hear him yakking it up in the garage... wow.

Miss ya already buddy... you left us far too soon but I know you're in a better place and the DX is good.

Your friend - Dave W7UUU

Obituary link: http://newtacoma.com/tribute/details/2456/Irwin-Mitze-Jr/obituary.html#tribute-start

Memorial service info below - I hope to see other W7DK members, friends, family - all join to celebrate the wonderful person that Bud was to so many of us

bud.PNG

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    N7ANN likes this.
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

3. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I am so sad, we have lost Bud. He was a joy to be around on good or bad days. Amateur radio won't be the same without him.

W7UUU and N7ANN like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all the many local hams who were able to attend Bud's memorial service yesterday. My gosh, what an outpouring!!! HUNDREDS were there - folks from his Mustang club, from his Corvette club, from the Radio Club of Tacoma W7DK, and from his workplace, Pierce Transit of Tacoma, WA where he was a long-time bus driver.

The transit folks had his bus there, with an alternating "In Memory Of" then "Bud Mitze" (pronounced "Mitsy") on display outside the Lakewood Elks Club.

It was standing room only in a very large dance hall - one of the biggest SK turnouts I've ever seen. Just a testimony to how much Bud was loved not only in the Amateur Radio community but his other areas of interest as well.

Very nice to hear all the great vignettes of his life, and to see so many who were his friends. Bud was one of those people you just couldn't help but like, always with a kind word to pick you up - there was never a rainy day in his parade.

Thanks again to all who came.

Rest in peace my friend - you're very much missed but we all know you're in a better place.

Gonna miss ya lots

73 & CL

Dave
    W7UUU

Bug Mitze Bus 1.jpg

Bud Mitze Bus 2.jpg

Bud Mitze Card.jpg

Bud Mitze Table.jpg

N7ANN, WG7X and W5BIB like this.
  5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Bud was born September 26, 1952 at Ft. Warden Hospital, in Port Townsend, WA. He passed away unexpectedly March 4, 2018. He was named Irwin George Mitze, Jr., after his father. His father would call him his little ‘Buddy’, hence his nickname ‘Bud’.

In Bud’s early years, his father’s military career led the family to live in different states and a tour in London, England. By the time Bud was a teenager, they were stationed at McChord. Subsequently, in 1969, the family settled in Lakewood, where he attended and graduated from Clover Park High School, Class of 1970.

Bud had many ‘loves of life’. First and foremost, family and friends. Cars soon followed, CB, amateur radio operator (call sign K7BUD, now a ‘silent key’), vacations in Hawaii, Caribbean Cruises, his bassets, and most recently, cocker spaniels (Tapper and Abbey).

Bud was an accomplished custom auto body painter, which led to a career in sales of auto body paint and supplies, and most recently, Pierce Transit.

Once a friend of Bud’s, always a friend. Customers, co-workers or bus riders…Bud always had a cheerful greeting and a huge smile on his face when you’d encounter him.

Bud’s passing has left an empty spot in so many hearts and lives. Bud is survived by Joyce Wennberg, the love of his life (20 yrs.); Abbey, their cocker spaniel; sister, Cheryl and brother-in-law, Mike Madsen; uncles, aunts, and cousins. He will be forever missed, always remembered and eternally loved.

A graveside service for immediate family will be held.
    http://newtacoma.com/tribute/details/2456/Irwin-Mitze-Jr/obituary.html#content-start