ad: IACantenna-1

Irma update - Florida Keys

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KQ0J, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:09 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they went somewhere.:D

2. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

that my friends is why you never evacuate.

3. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having a young child, I would definitely evacuate and would be one of those un-happy people wanting to get in and get my stuff assessed and shorn up. Their re-entry is based on water/food availability and the need to boil water and there MAY not be power to boil the water and prevent illness. I'm smart enough to do that... and would be angry that someone assumes they know better than I do...

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

If it were just antennas, you'd be right. But they also need power and, probably more difficult right now, backhaul.

K4YWZ likes this.
  5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the saltwater path, I don't get why a few military jeeps with good radios can't relay from one end to the other ????????

6. WN2SQC

WN2SQC Ham Member QRZ Page

SNAFU Situation Normal All Fouled Up

7. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good reason not to live in the keys.

NK2U likes this.
  8. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty simple answer, hams not needed nor wanted at this stage of the game. I see some in this thread still believe hams are first responders and should be down
    there in the thick of things 'communicating', try rolling up on a checkpoint with the white SUV bristling with antennas and a magnetic ARES sign(s) and see what
    kind of reception you get. Even ARRL admits ham roles are changing for emergencies, just some of the faithful can't let go, look at what happened to NTS.

NK2U, NL7W, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  9. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is the reality of it. I am fairly certain law enforcement and first responders are not having issues communicating with each other or with the mainland, and that hams are simply not needed.

NK2U, NL7W, WA7PRC and 2 others like this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier in the outer harbor with enough comm gear to dwarf every ham radio store in the United States facilitating communications among and between every agency involved. The last thing anyone needs there is ham radio. Or more useless people to feed.

NK2U, NL7W, WA7PRC and 4 others like this.