ad: portazero-1

IRLP vs Dstar vs Allstar...Commercialization of Amateur Radio?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by AA1PR, Aug 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB0AP

KB0AP Ham Member QRZ Page

I got to this post looking for differences between IRLP vs ALLstar because can't find that information online. I will take the momment to ask you guys a couple of questions because I am completely new to this type of stuff.

1- I have to ask, for you, which one is better, ALLStar or IRLP and most important WHY? Equipment needed? capabilities? more people? features?
    2- Which system have more users between ALLStar and IRLP? I think that will answer my first question.
    3- How much bandwith/data this systems consume? I want to put a node (still not sure if IRLP or ALLSTAR) and unfurtunately my internet provider (Comcast) have a max cap of 1Tb per month and I actually consume about 500gb monthly.
    4- Any of this protocols, IRLP, Echolink, Allstar, Dstar, DRM, etc provides any solution like Phone Patch like back in the days? Something that if I connect to my node at home I can call my wife landline/cellphone line?

I appreciate any advice, I am looking forward to build a node but still unsure about which one.

73's
    KB0AP

AA1PR likes this.
  2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

1- Only YOU can decide which one is "better". What is better for you might not be for others.
    2- I have never seen any statistics published.
    3- IRPL and EchoLink use the same vocoder and only use about 22 kbps if I remember. EchoLink ran with no problems on a 56k dialup modem with ~24k uplink speed. AllStar is capable of higher quality audio (when not connected to a node that has EL/IRLP users) at a much higher data rate.
    4- There is no way that I know of to do that.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Allstar does have the capability of telephone, And text also. Seems like not many use it.

Check out IAXRPT for more info.

I have a 2 gig monthly data limit, And 2 Allstar nodes running on 1 RPi3 has never used all of my data. That will depend what you stay connected to.

Have Fun.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

6. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

My 'homer' had a 20ft 'literal piece of wet-string' hanging out his council-flat window, and when I went there and found him working a NYC dude solid copy, (I was aged 9,) I thought it a miracle and that was the moment the 'bug' bit. He didn't even have an ATU.
    Anyone can manage some kind of antenna ...

I've used Echolink, actually worked the ISS/STS-135 on it, but really, where computers are involved?

What do you expect ..?
    Cat Laptop Shocker.gif

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  7. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

why the hobby and allstar failed in VT