IRLP vs Dstar vs Allstar...Commercialization of Amateur Radio?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by AA1PR, Aug 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can do it for about $100 if you modify a audio dongle to replace the $100 URI.

Have Fun.

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I completely agree with you. Great post! 73 John K4AGO

3. K4AGO

I agree 100%! Great post! 73 K4AGO

4. K4AGO

So you are saying that there should be no DSTAR, C4FM, DMR, Etc. repeaters just so a kid can use his $19.00 Chinese piece of junk radio to kerchunk the repeater ever few minutes to see if he is "gittin out."

KM3F likes this.
  5. N1RVN

N1RVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there's a nice development to further annoy all those who still cling to their straight key and spark plug transmitter: the $75 dual band FM + DMR Baofeng! Technology will never stop, my friends! You like it or you hate it, digital voice is the future.

Funny how for some people the clock stopped when they were 20...

6. KA9JLM

It is easy to ban those on DMR, That is a plus for DMR.

7. N1RVN

N1RVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, a real nice solution: ban them! BOOM! Problem solved, well done!

And then cry on all frequencies that young people are not joining the hobby. Why in the world would they? I'm never going to get my 10-year old son to be interested in ham radio if I ban him from all this new digital voice stuff - he is KN4DJK by the way. Their attention span is about 3 minutes, then they need something new. After a few months he got bored talking to the old saints on the FM repeaters, but sure perked up when I got into DMR. In fact, his Raspberry Pi knowledge was critical in setting up "our home hotspot" - he prepared the SD card himself, without any help from me. Now he can't wait to have his own DRM radio.

Yes, he is TEN YEARS OLD. And yes, I will buy him a Baofeng DMR radio for his upcoming birthday in a few months. Writing code plugs and tinkering with the ZumSpot software will keep him away from his XBox for a while... then hopefully we'll find something else interesting to play with in ham radio.

It's our way of "have fun" (your words)... what's yours? Banning young hams?

8. KA9JLM

No, Just banning radios that do not meet FCC specs in the USA, That can transmit out of band anywhere.

Great for your son, He is doing good. You should teach him about radios that are made in China and not certified for use in the USA. ;)

Have Fun.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  9. W5YZR

W5YZR Ham Member QRZ Page

whjmjvnh,m

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Well put, my thoughts exactly.

W5YZR likes this.