IRLP vs Dstar vs Allstar...Commercialization of Amateur Radio?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by AA1PR, Aug 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bravo...

I really don't have a problem with IRLP's restrictions, and I enjoy using their system. Likewise, I use EchoLink when it suits me, and honestly, my iPhone sounds great over the local repeater, too. I've 'called home' to the local hams from all over the country using both RF and smartphone/computer apps. We have a number of 'ex-pats' who call in here to talk to their old buddies, too.

I've heard a lot of Allstar stuff, mostly out west, and it looks like a good system, too. I've considered putting up a simplex node here for it. We have a node for IRLP in town, and we have EchoLink on one club repeater. We do have a DSTAR repeater linked into the statewide DSTAR reflector. The DSTAR is probably the most active.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

that's the point of the Internet design, "all of it" will never "go down".

KX4O likes this.
  3. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not saying you should or shouldn't really its up to the individual club or repeater/node owner. To me the fun is in the Radio side of it. You lost that if you are using a computer to talk into or a phone to talk into. Amateur radio or ham radio is about radio's not phones or computers for the sole means of talking. I get not all can put up large antenna arrays however even in restricted HOA's one could surely put up a mag mount antenna for VHF/UHF operations and most likely get into the local repeater. If not maybe living in one of those and the hobby they chose to get into won't play well together. If it were me I would find a better home QTH if I wanted to pursue the hobby. That or find a different hobby or lobby the HOA to get the rules amended to allow for a modest antenna setup. Otherwise like I said you can chat up the world on computers just don't complain if you run across a system that doesn't see eye to eye with allowing phones or computers onto the airwaves via their equipment.

4. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir,
    you seem to imply I'm communicating via a computer/tablet etc which is wrong I access my node via RF as well as others locally

however if one has no radio or is limited they can have access to the system via voip

if you dont like it dont use it, its that simple, but to tell us here that its not ham radio is wrong

if the internet goes down, so be it we still will communicate via RF

mods please close this thread

5. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a few local clubs who have setup links or even gone digital.

I only know of one who has committed to it fully-removing an analog and replacing it with digital. Most of them have setup an additional one (on 440) and left the 2m analog to allow backwards compatibility with both, and then they link them somehow I guess.

The local club here had it brought up as something to add, and the club voted it down. The club, however, is dominated by people over the age of 40.

I don't see myself getting a radio for it though unless they make one that does both analog and digital. Even then I don't see it happening in the near future, since it would be another purchase.

6. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No I didn't imply you did but clearly there are users who do. If someone wants to put up a repeater and link up a echolink node to it more power to them. But as is evidenced by one poster here who stated
    There clearly are users who do this. My self personally I don't see that as "Ham Radio" but that's just my opinion. If that's accepted in the system you have fine. I can't say for sure but I was connected several weeks ago to the EastCoast reflector and the Tuesday night Tech net and I heard you or someone who was doing the same as you did asking about it. The net control politely told them how the system worked and how they can be tied together with some conditions. But if one links into a system and doesn't like the rules it's pretty clear you have many options and one is to clearly not use the system where you are not in favor of the rules.

It's really no different than getting on a repeater and not following the control op's or repeater owners rules. If you don't agree or don't like them there are plenty of other options out there. You bring up as an point those who may live in antenna restricted areas who can't or are limited in what they can operate as a way to make a point. I think that's a red herring. There are plenty of links out there for echolink users to get on.

I say enjoy what you have and don't sweat the small stuff.

K4AGO likes this.
  7. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It just seems very funny to me - a bunch of hams talking to each other over the Internet, objecting to a user with a computer because its not ' radio '.

8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The bottom line is that the system owner sets the rules, and they are allowed to make them anything they wish, whether they make sense to the rest of the world or not.

I understand the concern about the possibility of an unlicensed person getting into the system, and IRLP has been engineered to make a serious effort to prevent that. I agree that EchoLink and Allstar are probably easily hacked by unlicensed individuals - we've had people on here brag about doing it, though why someone would admit on a public forum that they broke the law, I understand even less unless it is total B.S.. After many years as an EchoLink sysop, I never had an unlicensed user, and I did audit the connect logs - sent emails to the licensees of 'questionable' nodes that connected. I doubt that most Echolink sysops did that, though.

I like IRLP for it's audio quality, though I think Allstar may actually have the edge there. Some of the Echolink stuff is simply horrible -
    I don't know why the people using it don't realize it and do something about it. Listen to any big EL net - most of the users sound fine, but some are just horrid. Many times, the audio is fine one repeater system, and sounds terrible on another one. Of course, there is a problem with audio on VHF these days, period - nobody knows how to set their deviation, or what they sound like on the local repeater.

That's one advantage of the non-radio connections - they all sound great. And frankly, I'd rather listen to someone on an iPhone than someone on a scratchy, undermodulated Baofeng any day.

As for linking repeaters, for a permanent connection, nothing beats IRLP, though again Allstar is rising. The DSTAR network is actually pretty impressive, too, and I suspect Yaesu's will be shortly.

9. KM4NRJ

KM4NRJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in my day......

We lugged around 50 pound transceivers with battery........ And we liked it...

Security with the nodes is about as good as an unlicensed person obtaining a cheap Chinese radio and rendering RF unusable on the Repeater pairs.

Nets in Florida actually in some cases ask for AllStar check in, Echolink, and IRLP. Then go to RF.

Another issue of control reality, I am in charge, and hence the little kingdoms. Just like cliques, HOAs, abd the rest of the human race.

No time for any of it.

KX4O and K5ABN like this.
  10. KC9ZHR

KC9ZHR Ham Member QRZ Page

4 usual reasons echostink sounds bad..........

#1 mic gain too high on iphone.
    #2 ham with iphone is kissing the mic like its prom night.
    #3 see #1 & #2
    #4 the radio with the echo link node on the local repeater is a POS circa 1980 radio with jerry-rigged PL circuit hooked to a POS pentium3 with windowsME(with the mic gain set waaaaaaay too high, see #1) barely adequate internet connection and a 3rd generation hand-me-down steel conduit jpole via 20 year old piece of rg58 (left over from the CB days) mounted 3ft above a chain link fence in a trailer park 20 miles from the repeater........

Almost EVERYONE comments how good the echo link sounds on our repeater. #1 & #2 we cant help but #4 does not happen on ours. Echolink goes straight into the repeater controller via allstar. :cool:

K4AGO, KJ7GZN and KC4SIT like this.